Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were topped by the Laval Rocket, 4-2, tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
Laval scored in the opening minute and held on to the lead all game. Danick Martel and Mitchell Stephens both found the back of the net for Syracuse, but the team couldn't complete a comeback effort and falls to 10-8-2-0 on the season.
Scott Wedgewood turned aside 10-of-13 shots between the pipes for the Crunch before being relieved by Spencer Martin in the third period. Martin went on to stop both shots he faced. Charlie Lindgren earned the win with 26 saves in net for the Rocket. Syracuse went 0-for-5 on the power play, but a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
Laval jumped out to a quick 1-0 lead just 45 seconds into the game. Jake Evans beat Wedgewood five-hole from the right circle. Assists went to Karl Alzner and Antoine Waked.
Syracuse evened the score late in the first period. Alex Barre-Boulet fired a slap shot from the slot that went wide right. The puck ricocheted off the end boards and back out for Martel to chip in. Stephens tallied a point on the equalizer.
The Rocket went back on top with two goals in the middle stanza. At the 12:04 mark, Matthew Peca drove down the right wing before dishing a pass over for Riley Barber to finish off from below the left circle. Josh Brook recorded the secondary helper. Two minutes later, Alexandre Alain wristed a shot from the left faceoff dot with the help of Lukas Vejdemo and Karl Alzner.
The Crunch came back within one 6:22 into the third period. Barre-Boulet passed off to Martel behind the cage who skated the puck up the left wing and fired. His shot was stopped, but Stephens was down low to net the rebound.
Laval secured their win when Vejdemo drew a penalty in the final seconds and was awarded the empty-net goal.
The Crunch travel to face the Binghamton Devils tomorrow at 7:05 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Danick Martel is on a three-game goal scoring streak.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2019
- Barracuda Return Home, Edged by Condors 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Condors Rally Past San Jose, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Eagles Offense Roars in 5-2 Win over Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Hot Streak Cooled Friday by Colorado - Stockton Heat
- Rocket Leave Syracuse with a 4-2 Win - Laval Rocket
- Point Streak Reaches Nine Games in OT Loss to Marlies - Rochester Americans
- T.J. Brennan Is Overtime Hero in Heated Rivalry - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Outhouse, Early Moose Advantage Enough to Hold off Grand Rapids - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Can't Corral IceHogs - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Erase Five-Goal Deficit, Lose in Overtime, 6-5 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- St. Denis scores twice in Bridgeport's fourth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Struggle Against Senators In 6-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Power to Victory in Binghamton - Belleville Senators
- Crunch Grounded by Rocket, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Can't Solve Sound Tigers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tyler Sikura Named Team Captain - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Host Fifth Annual Red Kettle Game Next Friday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Popular Hockey + Heels Event Set to Return on February 4 - Hershey Bears
- Fans Can "Get Fed" by the Chicago Wolves on Sunday - Chicago Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Honorary Captain of the Game Program Returns for Second Straight Season - Rochester Americans
- Heat Take Hot Streak to Weekend with Colorado - Stockton Heat
- $10 Black Friday Tickets for Tonight's Game - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds Sign D Matt Mangene to AHL Contract - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Friday, November 29, 2019 vs. Toronto Marlies - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Open 3-In-3 Weekend Tonight in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, November 29 - Belleville Senators
- World-Famous Teddy Bear Toss to be Held in Hershey, PA this Sunday - Hershey Bears
- T-Birds Conclude Busy Week vs. Sound Tigers & Rocket - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Sound Tigers Look for Fourth Straight Win Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Crunch Roll Past Comets, 5-1
- Syracuse Crunch Reassign Nikita Pavlychev to Orlando Solar Bears
- Crunch Edge Amerks, 4-3, in Overtime
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch to Taxi Squad
- Florida Panthers Reassign Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok to Syracuse Crunch