Stingers Win in Extra Innings
Mankato, Minn. - The Stingers take Game 2 over Mankato in an extra inning thriller. Willmar came out on top in the twelfth inning with a 6-5 final score in the season finale.
John Bezdicek (Southwest Minn.-State) started on the mound for the Stingers. He gave up one earned run in the first inning but kept the Moondogs scoreless for the next four innings after that. Sam Baier (Augustana) tied the game up in the third when his RBI single scored James Gamble (UNLV) from second. 1-1 tied ballgame.
Both teams had a productive sixth inning. Branden Boissiere (Arizona) brought in Ryan Johnson (Pepperdine) from third with a sacrifice fly out to center. The next batter, Justin King (Alabama), had a sacrifice fly of his own that scored Baier. 3-1 Stingers. The Moondogs answered in their half of the inning when two runs scored off two hits and one error. 3-3 tied ball game.
The game was held scoreless until the tenth inning. Ricky Maddock (Central Missouri) came into pitch in the eighth inning. He pitched the next five innings as the game went into the twelfth. Ryan Johnson scored the go-ahead run in the tenth when his single scored Gamble to retake the lead 4-3. The Moondogs were able to score their runner on second to tie the game up 4-4.
In the eleventh, King scored Baier on his second sacrifice fly of the night to centerfield. That one run lead wouldn't hold as the Moondogs would bring in a run of their own in the eleventh. In the twelfth inning of the ballgame, Brandon Bohning (Northridge) was able to tag up on a Casey Dykstra (Azusa Pacific) sacrifice fly. Ricky Maddock slammed the door on the Moondogs in the twelfth as he was the hero on the mound for Willmar in tonight's game. The final score was 6-5 Stingers.
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.