First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester
St. Cloud, MN - St. Cloud (41-27) closed the regular season at the Rock Pile on Friday, dropping a close 8-4 game to Rochester (37-33). With Mankato's loss to Willmar, the Rox magic number to clinch a playoff berth is two games.
In the fifth inning, Ben Carew (Kent State) delivered with a clutch base hit. He crushed a ground ball up the middle that was stopped by the shortstop, but his throw was low and caused an error by the first baseman. He was credited with an RBI, scoring Freddy Achecar (Georgetown) from third base and Parker Smejkal (Nebraska-Omaha) from second base on an error.
Down 8-2 in the eighth inning, Garett Delano (Brown) scored Lenny Walker (St. Cloud State) on a sac-fly to right field. On the same play, the right fielder threw to the cutoff in the infield, who tried to throw out Carew at third base. The throw got away from the third baseman, allowing Carew to score on an error.
Nick Desalvo (LIU-Brooklyn) started the game and tossed 3.1 innings. JT Barnes (Hardin-Simmons), Rhyse Dee (Wake Forest), Daniel Montgomery Jr. (Southwesterrn) and Hance Smith (California-Berkeley) all saw time out of the bullpen.
For the full box score from game Friday's game, click here.
St. Cloud now opens a three-game road series with Thunder Bay. The Rox will play a doubleheader at Port Arthur Stadium at 4:30 and 6:30 on Saturday. Two wins against the Border Cats would clinch the second half title of the Great Plains West Division.
All single games tickets can be purchased in person at the Rox Ticket Office located at the Municipal Athletic Complex, by calling the Rox Ticket office at 320-240-9798 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday or 24 hours a day by visiting www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
St. Cloud Rox exchange hugs as the season nears its close
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.