Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose
Kalamazoo, Mich., - The Kalamazoo Growlers swept the Kokomo Jackrabbits 10-2 and 3-2, to reach the Northwoods League Playoffs for the second straight year and the second time in franchise history.
The Growlers led 2-0 after two on a wild pitch and pass ball to score Clay Owens (Southern California) and Jake Topolski (Duke).
Shea Kramer (Utah) then grounded out in the third to score Miko Rodriguez (Texas A&M).
Kokomo scored both their runs in the fourth, on three straight singles to lead off the inning. The Jackrabbits only got one hit the rest of the game off DJ Moore (Huntington).
Kalamazoo put up four runs in the fifth and three in the six to cap off the ballgame. Kramer had two base hits during the two frames with three RBIs. Jake Topolski (Duke) added a two-run, ground-rule double in the fifth.
In the sixth, Rodriguez, Kramer and Owens all had RBI singles to slam the door on Kokomo.
Alex McCutcheon (Huntington) earned his fourth win of the summer in his first start for the Growlers. McCutcheon went 4.0 innings, allowing one earned run on four hits. The junior also added four strikeouts. Moore notched his second save after a three inning, one hit and three strikeout performance.
Jacob Moskowitz (Palomar) was credited with his first loss after allowing seven runs, three earned, on six hits.
Kalamazoo led 2-1 after three on an RBI groundout by Kramer and a Nick Neville (South Carolina) single. Jack Kraus (UW-Milwaukee) had a sacrifice fly to score Brendan Chinea (Nova Southeastern) in the top half of the inning.
The Jackrabbits score their only other run in the fourth, on an RBI single by Hagan Severance (Belmont) to score Eric Callahan (Millersville).
Kalamazoo scored the game winning run in the bottom of the sixth on a single by Joel Brewer (South Carolina) to score his South Carolina teammate, Nick Neville.
The Growlers were back by an unbelievable performance from Eamon Horwedel (6, Ohio), recorded eight of his nine outs via a strikeout. Horwedel notched his sixth save of the summer.
Ralph Gambino (1-3, Penn State) recorded his first win, while going four innings, allowing just one earned run and one strikeout.
David Reckers (CSU-Bakersfield) got his second loss of the summer, despite a complete game, four strikeout outing.
The Kalamazoo Growlers still have two regular season games at Homer Stryker Field against the Traverse City Pit Spitters, with first pitch at 7:05 p.m.
The Growlers will also face the Traverse City Pit Spitters on Monday, August 12 in the first game of the Northwoods League Playoffs. First pitch will be at 7:05 p.m.
Every ticket for the playoff game will be an all-you-can-eat and start at $15. Tickets are now available at the Kalamazoo Growlers ticket office and online on the Growlers website. Fans are encouraged to wear gold, as game one will be a "Gold Rush" in the run for the Northwoods League title. The Growlers will also be planning a big presence in Traverse City, the details of an official pre-game hangout will be out soon.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.