Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory
Eau Claire, WI - The Eau Claire Express (19-13) got the best of the Bismarck Larks (11-23) in front of the biggest crowd of the season at Carson Park. The Express took an early lead and never looked back, defeating the Lark by a final of 6-3.
Lakeland University Postgame Recap
The Express were on the board first after scoring two runs in the bottom of the 1st. The bases loaded quickly on a walk from Zach Gilles (Central Michigan), and singles from Nick Marinconz (Cal Poly) and Matt Bottcher (Illinois-Chicago). Gilles scored on a ground out and Marinconz came in on a wild pitch.
Eau Claire added another run in the 2nd inning. Gilles was hit by a pitch and stole second base. Marinconz drove Gilles in on an RBI single to give the Express a 3-0 lead.
The offensive strength continued in the 5th. Bottcher led off with a wall. Alec Trela (Memphis) followed and absolutely crushed a no doubt home run that STILL hasn't landed to put the Express up 5-0.
Bismarck wasted no time at all on their response. They blasted a 3 run homer to cut the Express lead to 5-3 in the 6th inning.
An insurance run came in the 8th for the Trains. Sam Kohnle reached on an error by the second baseman and advanced to third on an error by the shortstop. Adam LaRock (Madison College) drove Kohnle in on an RBI single.
Medin Milla (Dominican University) had a fantastic first outing for the Express and received the win after joining the team a few days ago. Milla went 7.0 innings and gave up 3 runs on 4 hits and 6 walks. Jack Brown (Minnesota-State) tossed a scoreless 8th and struck out two batters. Nick Alvarado (Illinois-Springfield) got the save after shutting down the Larks in the 9th.
The Express travel to Waterloo, IA for the final two games of the regular season. Still in first place, Eau Claire will look to clinch their spot in the playoffs. Stay tuned to social media and our website in the coming two days for playoff updates!
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.