Stingers Lose to Mankato
Mankato, Minn. - The Stingers fell to Mankato in the first of a two-game series 4-1. These two games are the last time the Stingers will be in Mankato during the regular season.
In the first inning, Justin King (Alabama) batted-in the first run of the game with a single that scored Baier. 1-0 Stingers. Trevor Divinski (Minn. State-Mankato) made the start on the mound for Willmar. He gave up two runs in the first inning but was lights out after that. Divinski allowed three hits and struck out three batters in his outing.
The game was held scoreless for the next six innings. The pitcher for the Moondogs held Willmar to one run through seven innings of work. The Stingers used three pitchers in relief tonight. Bryant Claunch (North Alabama) was first in relief for Willmar. He pitched a scoreless sixth inning that brought his ERA down to 0.77. Aldo Fernandez (New Mexico State) was next in line to pitch for the Stingers. He walked the second batter of the inning after striking out the leadoff man, then set down the next two Moondog batters.
Casey Dykstra (Azusa Pacific) pitched the eighth. He gave up two runs off two hits. That was the first time either team had scored since the first inning. The Stingers were unable to manufacture any runs in the top of the ninth. Willmar fell to Mankato by a score of 4-1. Game 2 will be back at Franklin Rogers Park tomorrow. First pitch 7:05pm CT!
The 2019 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.