Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win
The Waterloo Bucks' (34-32, 14-16) held the Duluth Huskies (27-37, 14-14) to just four hits in a 4-2 win on the road Thursday evening. With just three games left until the Great Plains-East Subdivisional Series begins, the Bucks have won their last three games.
Luke Mattson earned his third win by tossing 5.0 innings of three-hit, three-walk baseball while allowing two runs and striking out five. The righthander piled up 8 whiffs on 85 pitches and threw up four scoreless frames to end his outing.
Waterloo opened the scoring in the first as Bennett Hostetler laced two-out a single to left, moved to third on walks drawn by Dylan Phillips and Ethan Copeland then stole home on a straight steal.
After Duluth stole the lead with a two-spot in their half, the Bucks tied things at two in the fourth. Alonzo Rubalcaba drew a one-out walk and advanced on a Morgan Hostetler walk. Kyler Arenado drove an RBI single to the alley in right-center, plating Rubalcaba.
The Bucks added two in the fifth as Patrick Ferguson led off with a walk and Bennett Hostetler blasted a ball to center that Duluth's outfielder mishandled, putting both men in scoring position. Copeland brought in Ferguson with a groundout, then Hostetler scored on a wild pitch.
Brett Lockwood picked up his third hold of the season by covering 2.0 scoreless innings, allowing a hit and a walk with three strikeouts. Fellow member of the "Four Horsemen" Alec Holcomb retired all six batters faced to slam the door on his fifth save, striking out four.
Waterloo and Duluth wrap up their series on Friday at 6:35 p.m. on the Bucks Radio Network powered by 1650 The Fan.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Waterloo Bucks Stories
- Heat Baseball Club Awarded Baseball Equipment Through Share the Glove Initiative
- Harms to Return for Second Season as Bucks Field Manager
- Waterloo Bucks Hire Jonathan Rawson as Radio Broadcaster
- Bucks Partner with Northwoods League Foundation for "Share the Glove" Initiative
- Bucks Announce Summer Internship Opportunities