Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay
LA CROSSE, Wis. - The La Crosse Loggers scored five runs over the first two innings to help kick start a 10-3 win over the Thunder Bay Border Cats in front of 2,708 fans at Copeland Park & Events Center on Thursday night.
The Loggers (35-34, 18-15) scored two runs with two outs in the bottom of the first inning, as Ryan Holgate (Arizona) came around to score after getting hit by a pitch. JT Schwartz (UCLA) singled, Tony Bullard (Arizona) walked, and Matt Stinebiser (Duke) reached base via a fielder's choice in the inning. Holgate helped extend the La Crosse lead in the bottom of the second inning with a two-run home run to right field, his 12th of the season and second in as many days.
Nick Eaton (Butler) earned the win for the Loggers, allowing three runs while striking out five over five innings pitched. Tristan Harvin (Birmingham Southern), Matt Richey (Bradley) and Sam Torsey (Viterbo) combined to throw four scoreless innings in relief.
Schwartz collected three hits for La Crosse on the day, raising his league-leading season average to .384. Cody Jefferis (San Diego) roped a two-run double to right in the seventh inning, and Bullard hit his sixth home run of the year, a solo shot in the eighth inning to help provide the final margin.
La Crosse continues its playoff push tonight with a rematch against the Border Cats, with first pitch set for 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.