Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - After taking game one, the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (20-12) go for a critical series sweep over the Madison Mallards (16-17) in game two Friday night.
The Rafters currently have a 1.5-game lead over Fond du Lac in the Great Lakes West Division. Having already locked up home-field advantage, the Rafters magic number to clinch a playoff spot is two. Tonight's matchup wraps up the season series between Rapids and Madison. The Rafters have a 7-4 advantage in the series.
Wisconsin Rapids overcame an early deficit to pick up a 5-2 victory Thursday. Matt Oldham and Jake Dunham both had home runs in the game. Starting pitcher Neil Abbatiello fanned 10 batters in six innings of work.
Nathan Hemmerling is projected to start for Rapids tonight. The freshman righty leads the team with seven wins the season and holds a 7-2 record with a 2.19 ERA. Madison is expected to give the nod to Trevor Marreel, who is 3-5 and has a 6.48 ERA this summer.
Wisconsin Rapids closes out the regular-season portion of their 10thAnniversary Season with a road series in Lakeshore. Game one is Saturday at 6:35 p.m. and the finale is Sunday at 5:05 p.m.
As the Rafters gear up for a late-season run, you can experience the postseason action firsthand. For more information on playoff ticket offerings visit Raftersbaseball.com, call the Rafthouse at 715-424-5400, or visit historic Witter Field. The Rafters ticket office is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday at Witter Field, 521 Lincoln Street in Wisconsin Rapids.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Rafters New Front Office Addition Marks First Female Dominated Office in Northwoods League
- Rafters Continue to Give Back During 2020 Season
- Rafters Break Records in Historic 2020 Season
- Rafters Thirsty Thursdays Continue Postseason
- Rafters Face off against La Crosse Loggers in Playoff Opener