Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5
WAUSAU, Wis. - The Kenosha Kingfish (20-15) won its sixth game in a row on Friday night at Athletic Park beating the Wausau Woodchucks (14-20) 6-5.
Sam Marhefke (Loras College) started for the Kingfish and pitched only the first inning. The Woodchucks went up 3-0 in the bottom of the first inning on three bases loaded walks.
Jake Cosgrove (UC - Irvine) responded with a solo home run in the second and Kenosha trailed 3-1.
Jonah Landowski (Marian) pitched six shutout innings in relief and struck out six.
The Kingfish tied the game 3-3 in the top of the fifth with two runs. Connor Mang (New Mexico) plated Mitchell Buban (UW - Milwaukee) on a sacrifice fly for Kenosha's first run in the frame. With Zach Nogalski (UW - Milwaukee) at third base, Ethan Owens (Drury) got himself in a rundown between first and second and Nogalski crossed home plate to even the score.
Woodchucks starter Jose Varela (FIU) finished the fifth inning, but did not return in the sixth after reaching his pitch limit. Varela allowed three runs on five hits and struck out five.
Kenosha took the lead 5-3 in the top of the sixth on a Brendan Hueth (Saint Joseph's) bases loaded two RBI single. The Kingfish tacked on their third run of the inning and led 6-3 on a Nogalski sacrifice fly that sent Jack Thelen (UW - Milwaukee) to the plate.
The Woodchucks cut Kenosha's lead 6-5 in the bottom of the eighth with two runs on two hits.
Jacob DeLabio (Carthage College) got the save with a three-up and three-down inning in the ninth.
Landowski got the win for the Kingfish and Nick Vanderhoef (Barry) took the loss giving up three runs without recording an out in the sixth.
The Kingfish return home on Saturday to Simmons Field to close out the season with a two game set against the Battle Creek Bombers. Anderson Strunk (Mott CC) is scheduled to toe the rubber for the Kingfish at 5:35 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kenosha Kingfish Stories
- Kingfish Close 2020 Kenosha Series with 8-5 WIn
- Kingfish Defeat Bobbers 18-0 in Record Setting Night
- Bobbers Stop Eight Game Skid with 8-3 Win over Kingfish
- Kingfish Win Eighth Straight to Tie Team Record Win Streak
- Kingfish Take 2020 Kenosha Series with 7th Straight Win