Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series
The Fond du Lac offense erupted for the second consecutive game as they toppled the Battle Creek Bombers 15-6 on Friday night.
Once again, the Dock Spiders offense was working early on. After scoring four runs in the bottom of the first Thursday, Fond du Lac put up four runs once again in the home half of the first frame. Kellen Sarver highlighted the rally with a two-RBI single off of Battle Creek starting pitcher Keith Carpenter.
Fond du Lac wasn't done offensively, though. Five hits, all of them singles, put together three more hits in the bottom of the second inning, and the Dock Spiders added an eighth run in the bottom of the third.
The Bombers bats sprang to life in the fourth inning, however. Mac Graybill got the scoring going with a sacrifice fly and Kolby Johnson added an RBI double before Jorge Gutierrez stepped to the plate with the bases loaded. The catcher delivered, mashing a bases-clearing double to right-center field. Gutierrez was caught attempting to stretch the hit into a triple, but the lead was down to 8-5.
Fond du Lac quickly responded in the fifth inning with five runs of their own. Tate Kolwyck had a bases-clearing double of his own in the rally that saw eight Dock Spiders face two different Battle Creek pitchers. In the fifth inning, Carpenter was taken out and reliever Nick Klee finished off the frame. Carpenter ended the game allowing 12 earned runs on 10 hits over his 4.2 innings of work.
The Dock Spiders added two in the sixth and one in the eighth, and a run in the top of the ninth was not enough for Battle Creek to come back. Of the nine batters in the Fond du Lac order, eight reached base. The lone exception, catcher Andy Lopez, also recorded an RBI. The Dock Spiders extended their win streak to seven, which is the most in the Northwoods League. Battle Creek will finish out the regular season in Kenosha, beginning with a Saturday afternoon matchup starting at 5:35 Central Time.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.