Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, Wis. - The Madison Mallards (42-28) chugged past the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (44-26) in a tight, 4-2 contest Friday night at Witter Field. The game closed out the regular-season series between the Mallards and the Rafters and earned the Mallards a series split in the final set.
Timo Schau (Southern Wesleyan) broke a 0-0 tie in the fourth inning with a sacrifice fly to put the Mallards on the board. A few batters later, Nick Figus (Illinois Wesleyan) roped an RBI double to open a 2-0 Madison cushion.
The Rafters countered with two runs in the fifth to tie the game. Anthony Galasan (Elon) cranked a two-RBI double to knot the game at 2-2 in the middle innings.
After a few quiet frames, Madison poked across some insurance runs in the seventh. Austin Blazevic (SEMO) drove home a run to put the Mallards back ahead. Then, Jordan Stephens (Miami-Ohio) ripped a single to score another and make it a 4-2 advantage.
Leon Davidson (North Carolina A&T) was lights out in relief for the Mallards and picked up the win. In two and two-thirds innings of work, Davidson picked up five strikeouts. Theo Denlinger (Bradley) notched his 12th save of the summer with a scoreless ninth inning to secure the victory.
Hayden Petrovick (UC-Riverside) took the loss for the Rafters after allowing the go-ahead runs in the seventh.
Davidson entered with one out in the sixth inning and the go-ahead run in scoring position. He promptly shut down the Rafters' offense and provided stability on the mound for the Mallards in a tightly-contested game down the stretch.
Stephens had two hits and laced a double in the fourth inning before scoring the first run of the game. He finished 2-for-5 at the plate.
Davidson dominated on the hill. The right-hander was phenomenal on the bump and racked up five strikeouts, four of which were looking.
Logan Michaels (Virginia) cranked out another multi-hit game, going 2-for-5 and scoring a run. Michaels is now hitting a clean .364 on the year.
The Mallards return to Warner Park on Saturday for their final home game of the regular season. First pitch against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders is slated for 6:05 at the Duck Pond. Saturday is Vegas Night presented by The Zone and will feature a Wolf Pack Maynard bobblehead giveaway presented by The Great Dane. Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.