Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance
Mequon, WI- Last year, the thought of making the playoffs for the Chinooks hadn't even entered the minds of the those involved with the team. Five years removed from their championship season; the Chinooks were back in the hunt for a shot at the coveted Northwoods League crown. Unfortunately, the Chinooks were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs last night. With their loss and Wisconsin Rapids Rafter loss, the only thing left to do is force a tie for the second half of the season. That would force the league to look at the head-to-head match up between the two teams. The Rafters hold that tiebreaker.
The Chinooks and Booyah would be playing for pride tonight. Jesse Slinger would take the mound for the Chinooks in game one against the Booyah. Slinger would bring a 4.03 ERA to tonight's game. Slinger would work a quick 1-2-3 top of the first.
The Chinooks would put two on courtesy of a Jake Thompson walk and a Daryl Myers infield hit with two outs. Griffin Doersching would fly out to right center to end the inning. The Chinooks would almost turn a triple play in the top of the second, but the batter was able to get down the first base line.
Justin Olson would double in Trent Bauer to give the Chinooks the lad in the bottom of the second. Slinger would be back on the mound to work the top of third. Slinger would not allow any runs to score. Slinger and Booyah starter, Wiggins, would continue their pitcher duel as both squads would go scoreless through four innings.
The fifth inning would be more of the same as both pitchers would not allow any runs. Slinger would walk the bases loaded with one out. The scoreless inning streak would come to end as Slinger would allow Jacob Buchberger to double to right and bring two runs in. After another walk a pitching change would be made. Blake Harseim would go to work with two outs in the sixth. Slinger finished with seven walks and three earned runs in five and two thirds innings of work.
With the Booyah leading 3-1, the Chinooks would put two runners on with one out. It would short lived as Trent Bauer would ground out to the pitcher and Green bay would turn a 1-6-3 double play. With two outs and a runner on second, Green Bay would bring in one more run. The lead extended to three as the Chinooks would come to the plate. The Chinooks would load the bases in the bottom of the seventh and with two outs the Chinooks cut the lead to two runs.
The eighth saw both teams trade runs in their respective innings. Game action would move to the ninth with the Chinooks trailing 5-3. Jonah Nosek would sub in the ninth and give up one run. Lakeshore Chinooks would come to the plate looking for a walk-off win.
The Chinooks offense would be shut down in order. The Chinooks drop their second game in the row. Losing tonight was a twist of the dagger for the Chinook's playoffs hopes.
Lakeshore travels to Green Bay to finish up the two-game set with the Booyah. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.