Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks
Eau Claire, WI - The Eau Claire Express (18-13) dropped a heartbreaker to the Bismarck Larks (11-22) on Thursday night at Carson Park. After falling behind early, the Express fought back in the late innings to put the game within a run but fell short as the loss to the Larks by a final of 7-6.
Lakeland University Postgame Recap
Bismarck shot out to a 4-0 lead in the top of the 1st inning on two walks, two hits, and one error.
The Express answered nicely, plating two runs of their own in the bottom half. Cole Cabrera (Cal Poly) began with a single and was followed by Brock Burton's (Grand Canyon) single. Zach Gilles (Central Michigan) came up with the big 2 RBI double to put the score at 4-2.
The Larks added one more in the 2nd inning to take a 5-2 lead on a walk and a single.
Eau Claire put one on the board in the 4th. Brandon Dieter (Stanford) singled and advanced to second base when Cabrera was hit by a pitch. Burton slashed an RBI double to score Cabrera and bring the score to 5-3.
Bismarck shut down the Express advance in the top of the 6th by scoring two runs on three hits and an error.
The Express had a promising comeback in 9th but ultimately fell short after 3 runs scored. Dieter started with a single and advance to second on a Lark's second baseman. Sam Stonskas (Blackhawk CC) singled and was followed by Cabrera's RBI single that scored Dieter. Stonskas scored on a two base error by Bismarck's pitcher and Cabrera came in on Matt Bottcher's (Illinois-Chicago) RBI double. This put the score at the 7-6 final.
Colt Mink (Flagler College) took the loss after giving up 5 runs in 2.0 innings on four walks and four hits. Brad Rindfleisch (UW Stout) was great for 4.2 innings, allowing 2 runs on seven hits and one run. Wyatt Stute (Nebraska Wesleyan) entered for the final 2.1 scoreless innings and recorded a strikeout.
The Express complete the regular home season tomorrow night, Friday, August 9th for 7:05 pm first pitch. Join the Express as we wrap up our final regular season home game with great prizes and awesome fireworks!
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.