Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha
WAUSAU, WI - The Wisconsin Woodchucks put together a late-inning rally that could not complete a victory. The Woodchucks lost by a final score of 6-5 to the Kenosha Kingfish.
Kenosha struggled to find the strike zone at the beginning of the game. They loaded the bases and walked in three straight Woodchucks runs. The Woodchucks, on the other hand, left pitches hanging in the strike zone.
The Chucks allowed Kenosha to score six unanswered runs. Starting pitcher Jose Varela tossed five innings and allowed three of those runs on five hits. He walked two and struck out five.
With Kenosha leading 6-3 in the eighth inning, the Woodchucks charged back by scoring two more runs to bring them within one of Kenosha. Byron Murray hit a triple that scored Alec Arnone. Murray later scored on a wild pitch.
With Kenosha still leading at 6-5, the Woodchucks were unable to complete their rally. A three-up, three-down ninth inning led to the Chucks fourth straight loss.
Byron Murray went 1-3 with two RBI and one run. He hit a triple in the eighth inning to bring the Chucks within two runs.
Kyle Simmons went 1-3 with one RBI. He hit a triple and walked in the first inning with the bases loaded.
The Wisconsin Woodchucks will continue their homestand tomorrow on Saturday, August 10th. The Woodchucks will play the Green Bay Booyah and the game will begin at 6:35 PM. There will be Post-Game Fireworks set to the hits of Queen presented by Crystal Finishing Systems. It will be JDRF Night with a Baseball Card Set Giveaway to the first 500 fans. This will be the last regular-season game hosted at Athletic Park! For tickets, call us at 715.845.5055, stop by our front office, or visit woodchucks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Woodchucks Stories
- Woodchucks Win Final Game of the Season in Green Bay
- Woodchucks Defeat Green Bay and Win Final Home Game of the Season
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha
- Woodchucks Fall in First of Two-Game Series against Kenosha
- Woodchucks Unable to Catch the Growlers