Honkers Rock the Rox
St. Cloud, MN - Now officially eliminated from the playoffs, the Honkers were hoping to play spoilers when they traveled to St. Cloud to take on the Rox on Thursday, August 8. The Flock did just that by scoring four runs in the seventh inning to beat St. Cloud 6-3.
After two singles and a walk loaded the bases, Rochester starting pitcher Dwayne Marshall (Maryland-Eastern Shore) worked his way out of a jam in the first inning by striking out Parker Smejkal to keep St. Cloud scoreless.
Rox' starter Alex Carrillo was pitching even better as he faced just three batters in each of the first two innings.
Marshall kept pace by retiring the side in the bottom of the second inning.
The Honkers scored the first run of the game in the top of the third inning when Kyler McMahan (Oregon State) hit an RBI single which scored Mitchell Allen (New Mexico State) from third base.
Following a walk by Austin Schell (Golden West College), Rochester tacked on another run in the top of the fourth inning when Allen doubled to left-center field.
Marshall surrendered a walk to Hance Smith in the bottom of the fourth, but he struck out his next two batters to end in the inning.
After a quiet top of the fifth for the Honkers, Anthony Rodriguez (Monroe College) relieved Marshall even though Marshall had given up just two hits and no runs.
St. Cloud broke through against Rodriguez when Garett Delano hit a two-run home run to tie the game at 2-2.
Rodriguez settled down in the bottom of the sixth by retiring the first three batters he faced.
The Flock re-took the lead in the top of the seventh inning when McMahan drew a bases-loaded walk. Then, Tristan Peterson (New Mexico State) was hit by a pitch to bring in the next run which gave Rochester a 4-2 lead.
But the Honkers weren't done yet as the next batter, Ryan Wrobleski (Dallas Baptist) hit a two-run single to make the lead 6-2.
Allen kept the Rox scoreless in the bottom of the seventh, but they got one run back in the bottom of the eighth when Smejkal hit a solo home run.
With the Flock now in a save situation, leading 6-3, Keon Taylor (Georgetown College) came in to pitch the ninth inning and he gave up just one hit before retiring the next three batters to earn the save.
The 6-3 win boosts the Honkers' second-half record to 18-16 and their overall record is now 36-33.
The Profile Sanford Player of the Game is Mitchell Allen for going 1-2 with two walks and pitching two innings of relief.
Rochester continues its series in St. Cloud on Friday, August 9, at 7:05 p.m. The Flock conclude their season in Mankato where they'll play the MoonDogs on Saturday and Sunday, August 10-11.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Honkers Stories
- Moore, Kindreich Earn All-Star Nods After Stellar Summers
- Honkers Drop Season Finale
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss
- Honkers Ambushed by Early Offense in Waterloo
- Kindreich's Strong Start Overshadowed by Relief, Lack of Offense in Loss