Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd
Traverse City, MI - The Pit Spitters ended their regular season home schedule with an exclamation point on Friday, by downing the Rockford Rivets in front of a sell-out crowd of 4,472. The 11-7 win takes them to 30-6 on the season in front of their hometown fans and marks their eleventh series sweep at home this year. The Pit Spitters also welcomed their 60,000th fan to the ballpark Friday night.
It was a game of two parts as the hitters owned the early innings before the bullpens steadied things in the later innings. The Rivets got off to a 3-0 lead and scored a total of seven runs in the first four innings. The Pit Spitters, as they have so many times this year, would not stay down and rallied with big innings of their own.
The home-side plated six runs in a second inning that saw them send ten batters to the plate. The big knocks came from Adam Proctor (SO Michigan State,) who put them on the board with a three-run home run, and Andrew Morrow (JR Michigan State,) who's three RBI double gave the Pit Spitters their first lead.
Traverse City added four runs in the fourth inning, behind RBI singles from Kam Smith (SO Northern Illinois) and Riley Bertram (FR Michigan,) and one in the seventh when Mario Camilletti (SO Oakland) singled home Nick Powell (SO Ball State.) Jake Wilson (JR Bowling Green) and Michael Slaten (JR Benedictine) each added two hits.
Chase Gearing (FR Saginaw Valley) came out of the Pit Spitters bullpen to earn his third victory of the season. He was followed by four relievers, Luke Little (FR San Jacinto,) Kevin Hahn (SR Cal State- Stanislaus,) Pat Hohlfeld (SO Jefferson,) and Joe Pace (JR Michigan,) who each posted scoreless frames and combined to strike out 11.
The Pit Spitters return to action Saturday, with a 7:05 p.m. road matchup against the Kalamazoo Growlers. They return home Tuesday for game two of the first round of the Northwoods League playoffs. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a Pit Spitters playoffs rally towel. The game will also be a "red out." Gates will open at 6:00 p.m.
Tickets are available online at www.pitspitters.com. Prices are $6 for lawn and $10 for box seats. Individual, season and group tickets are on sale and can be purchased in advance by calling (231) 943-0100. Complete ticket information including 2020 season tickets, group prices and perks is available at www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2019
- Stingers Win in Extra Innings - Willmar Stingers
- Eau Claire Bests Bismarck in 6-3 Victory - Eau Claire Express
- First Place Rox Fall in Series Finale to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Mallards Sink Rafters 4-2 in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Sweep Bombers in Penultimate Season Series - Battle Creek Bombers
- Green Bay Sweeps Lakeshore - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Rally, Fall to Mallards - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Kingfish Hang-On to Beat Woodchucks 6-5 - Kenosha Kingfish
- Open the Cages, the Zoo Is Loose - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Waterloo Falls 4-3 in Duluth - Waterloo Bucks
- Pit Spitters Down Rivets 11-7 in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Seven in a Row After Blowout Victory - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Woodchucks Charge Back in Eighth But Fall One Run Shy of Kenosha - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Despite 4-2 Win over Waterloo, Huskies Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Duluth Huskies
- Huskies on the brink of playoff elimination - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Play Finale with Mallards at Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Game Time Update - Kenosha Kingfish
- Loggers Strike Early in 10-3 Win vs. Thunder Bay - La Crosse Loggers
- Dock Spiders Take Down Battle Creek to Extend Winning Streak to Six Games - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Express Lose Heartbreaker to Larks - Eau Claire Express
- Honkers Rock the Rox - Rochester Honkers
- Rox Hit Multiple Home Runs, Drop Close Game to Rochester - St. Cloud Rox
- Chinooks Lose Playoff Chance - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers Lose to Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Pitching Prevails in 4-2 Bucks Win - Waterloo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Pit Spitters Hosting Free Event to Thank Fans
- Pit Spitters Are Northwoods Champions on Walk-Off
- Pit Spitters Take Division Crown, off to Championship Game
- Pit Spitters Advance to Division Championship on Walk-Off
- Seven Run Inning Lifts Pit Spitters over Growlers in Game One