Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - Defenseman Jyrki Jokipakka scored his first career AHL goal, but the Texas Stars fell 5-1 to the Grand Rapids Griffins Saturday night at Van Andel Arena.
In fairly balanced opening period, the Griffins opened the scoring with just 2:04 remaining on the clock. Cory Emmerton scored on a one-timer from the high slot, blasting a pass from Teemu Pulkkinen by a partially screened Allen York and into the Texas net.
The Griffins doubled their lead just 3:41 into the second period on a shot from the blue line by defenseman Alexey Marchenko. Three minutes later it was 3-0 Grand Rapids when a Calle Jarnkrok shot from below the right faceoff dot found a way through the pads of York. The Stars got on the board late in the period when defenseman Jyrki Jokipakka blasted home a shot from the high slot to score a power play goal, assisted by Scott Glennie. It was Jokipakka's first career AHL goal and it cut the Griffins lead to 3-1. A mere 24 seconds later Grand Rapids struck back to reclaim a three-goal lead.
Texas out-shot Grand Rapids 26-18 over the first two periods of play, but the third period belonged to the Griffins. The defending Calder Cup champions dominated in shots during the final frame, out-shooting the Stars 17-8. Eaves tacked on his second goal of the night, tipping in an Adam Almquist shot at 8:41 to close out a 5-1 win.
Tom McCollum made 33 saves on 34 shots to record his seventh win of the year in goal for Grand Rapids. Allen York finished with 30 saves on 35 shots and suffered his first regulation loss of the season in the net for Texas. The Griffins out-shot the Stars 35-34 and went 0-for-4 on the power play, while Texas was 1-for-4 with the man-advantage.
The Stars will complete their three-game road trip on Tuesday, December 3rd as they travel to Oklahoma City for a West Division showdown with the Barons at 7:00 p.m. at Cox Convention Center. Texas will return home to take on the Iowa Wild on Friday, December 6th for the beginning of Sing for Santa Weekend. The December 6th game is another $3 Draft Beer and $4 Robert Mondavi Private Selection Wine night and it is the Stars Hockey Family Window Decal giveaway presented by Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority. Pro-rated full and partial 2013-14 Texas Stars Season Tickets are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Dallas Stars Reduce Training Camp Roster
- STARS Dallas Stars Release 2019-20 Training Camp Roster and Schedule
- Stars and Moose Announce Game Time Change
- 2019-20 Stars Promotional Schedule Announced
- Texas Stars Forward Travis Morin Announces Retirement, Joins Front Office