Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) 4-3 in overtime on Saturday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat are now 17-7-0-1 on the season and currently sit first in the American Hockey League (AHL) with 36 points.
Ben Street led the way for Abbotsford with one goal, one assist, and four shots. Abbotsford's Turner Elson and Josh Jooris both scored their second goals of the season. For the second straight night, Abbotsford outshot Utica by a wide margin, 36 to 27, but were unable to come away victorious.
Turner Elson opened the scoring for the Heat at 10:37 in the first period. Elson's second goal of the season was assisted by Chad Billins and Ben Hanowski. The Comets responded with a goal by Kellan Lain at 17:13. The first period ended 1-1, with the Heat outshooting Utica 14-8.
The second period remained scoreless for both teams until Comets forward Lain scored his second goal of the night at - - 16:24. Through two periods, Joey MacDonald made 19 saves on 21 shots and Joe Cannata stopped 20 of 21 shots he faced.
Abbotsford had a quick start to the third period, as Josh Jooris tied the game at 3:51, assisted by Street and Michael Ferland. The Comets regained the lead shortly thereafter with a goal at 6:24 by Colin Stuart. However, Street quickly responded with a power play goal at 9:07 to tie the game 3-3. Street's goal was assisted by Markus Granlund and Joey MacDonald. Abbotsford outshot Utica 15-5 in the third period.
In overtime, Utica's Pascal Pelletier scored at 2:07, giving the Comets a 4-3 victory.
Abbotsford was one for four with the man advantage, and killed off all three Utica power plays.
Joey MacDonald made 23 saves on 27 shots, while Joe Cannata stopped 33 of 36 shots.
Next weekend the Heat will host the San Antonio Rampage (AHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers) on Friday, December 6th and Saturday, December 7th. Friday will feature the annual Teddy Bear Toss, benefitting the Abbotsford Christmas Bureau. Fans looking to attend the December 6th Teddy Bear Toss should go to http://www.abbotsfordcentre.ca/promo and enter the promo code FOOD. A portion of the proceeds from all tickets purchased using this promo code will be donated to the Abbotsford Christmas Bureau. Please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or go to abbotsfordheat.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.