B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators lost 4-3 in a shootout on home ice to the visiting St. John's IceCaps. Andrew Hammond played strong between the pipes for the B-Sens making 37 saves; however, his counterpart Jussi Olkinuora earned the win for the IceCaps while stopping 36 shots.
Binghamton got its offense going early as Mike Hoffman buried his eleventh goal of the season just 2:41 into the opening period. Buddy Robinson jumped a St. John's pass deep in the defensive zone and lead Hoffman into a break down the ice where he managed to beat Olkinuora. Fredrick Claesson was credited with the secondary assist. St. John's drew the score even at 16:43 on a power-play opportunity when Jerome Samson put home a loose puck in front of the B-Sens net. Hammond finished the period with 11 saves while Olkinuora managed to turn aside 12 of 13 faced.
The B-Sens got themselves back on top at 13:42 of the middle frame when Hoffman found Da Costa in front of the IceCaps net who then slipped the puck over Olkinuora making it 2-1. Before period ended, St. John's once again evened the scoreboard up with a power-play tally coming from Andrew Gordon at the 16:57 spot. The teams went into the intermission tied with Hammond stopping 12 of 13 chances faced while Olkinuora stifled 10 of the 13 B-Sens shots.
The third was a quick moving period like the two frames prior. Binghamton regained the lead at the 9:47 spot when David Dziurzynski notched his first goal of the year putting home a rebound opportunity from a Matt Puempel shot. With about a minute and a half remaining, Olkinuora went to his bench giving the IceCaps an extra attacker. With less than 30 seconds remaining, Carl Klingberg put home the tying goal in the middle of a scrum in front of Hammond sending the game into overtime.
After a scoreless extra period, the game moved to a shootout where Eric O'Dell and Samson converted for the IceCaps while Hoffman was the lone Senator to beat Olkinuora. The win gave St. John's the bonus point and ended the B-Sens perfect shootout record this season. Hammond dropped to 6-3-1 with the loss while Olkinuora improved to 2-2-1 in his fifth start of the season. Hoffman finished with a goal and an assist and Claesson added two helpers to lead Binghamton offensively.
The B-Sens will be back on home ice next Friday when they welcome the Hershey Bears to town before they host the Albany Devils on Saturday; both games are slated for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop. Tickets for both games are available by calling the Binghamton Senators Executive office at (607) 722-7367 or stopping in between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Fans can also purchase tickets through the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets during normal business hours by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or at 1-800-745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.