Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats
Rockford, Ill.- Last night it was the Chicago Wolves that jumped out to a big advantage early, but the IceHogs reversed the roles on Saturday and struck early with two goals to help lead them to a 4-3 win at the BMO Harris Bank Center.
Just 21 seconds into the game, 6,105 teddy bears went flying onto the ice as Kyle Beach that made it rain stuffed animals for the second straight season in the IceHogs annual teddy bear toss game. Beach picked up a pass from Terry Broadhurst and rifled in his first goal of the season past Jake Allen.
Beach appeared to have his second of the night only 24 seconds later but after further review the goal was waived off. It didn't take long for the IceHogs to strike again however, as Joakim Nordstrom finished off a nice feed from Phillip Danault to make it 2-0. Danault raced into the Chicago zone, danced around a Wolves' defender, and set up Nordstrom for an easy tap in 4:01 into the first period.
Beach and the IceHogs picked up right were they left off to open the middle frame. Again, it was Terry Broadhurst finding Beach for his second goal of the game, coming 27 into the second period to push the Hogs' lead to 3-0.
Chicago was finally able to get one by Kent Simpson at 13:14 in the second frame to bring the score to 3-1. With the Wolves on a 5-on-3 power play, Ty Rattie found Dmitrij Jaskin and he fired in his team-best sixth goal of the campaign from just above the right faceoff circle.
Beach wasn't satisfied with just the teddy bears being tossed onto the ice and this time he sent hats flying as he completed the hat trick with three minutes left in the middle stanza. Jared Nightingale sprung Beach into the Wolves zone while the Hogs were short handed and the winger buried his third tally of the night to push the Hogs lead to 4-1.
The Wolves wouldn't go down without a fight as they closed the gap in the third period. Center Christian Hanson brought Chicago back within two at 9:02 of the final frame. Simpson stopped the initial shot by Brent Regner but Hanson was there to knock in the rebound off the back glass to make the score 4-2.
Defenseman Taylor Chorney scored just as a Wolves power play expired with goaltender Jake Allen pulled for the extra attacker with just 47-seconds left in regulation to make it a 4-3 contest. The IceHogs survived the late surge by Chicago to pull out a 4-3 win.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E
- Rockford IceHogs & BMO Harris Bank Launch #BacktoSchoolwithBMO to Support Stateline Teachers
- IceHogs Add Scoring Touch in Forward Christopher Wilkie
- IceHogs Re-Sign Forward Mathew Thompson for 2020-21 Season