Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat were defeated 3-2 by the Utica Comets (AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks) on Friday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat are now 17-6-0-1 on the season and currently sit first in the American Hockey League (AHL) with 35 points. The Heat and Comets will play again Saturday night at 7pm at the AESC.
The Heat outshot the Comets 37-17 but Joe Cannata had a strong game, earning first star honours in the Comets' victory. Michael Ferland had a strong game for the Heat, notching a goal, 6 shots, and winning a fight with a one punch knockdown against Utica's Kent Huskins.
Despite Abbotsford carrying much of the play in the first period, Comets forward Cal O'Reilly opened the scoring on an unlucky bounce for the Heat at 12:54 of the first period. Joni Ortio stopped six of seven shots in the first while Utica's Joe Cannata stopped all 16 shots he faced.
Pascal Pelletier stretched the Comets' lead to 2-0 at 7:36 of the second period. The Heat outshot the Comets 24-15 through two periods, but trailed 2-0.
Yannick Weber, recently assigned to the Comets by the Vancouver Canucks, scored on a power play at 3:15 of the third to give the Comets a 3-0 lead. The Heat started their comeback effort at 14:13 of the third period with a power play goal by Michael Ferland, assisted by Kane Lafranchise. Greg Nemisz pulled the Heat to within one with an unassisted goal just 44 seconds later on another Heat power play. However, with the Joni Ortio pulled for the extra attacker, the Heat took two penalties in the final minute and the game ended 3-2 for the Comets.
Abbotsford was two for five with the man advantage, and killed off one of two Utica power plays.
Joni Ortio made 14 saves on 17 shots for Abbotsford and was credited with his first loss of the season. Utica's Joe Cannata made 35 saves on 37 shots.
The Heat and Comets will play again tomorrow, Saturday November 30th at the AESC. One lucky fan will have the chance to win $5000 in the Honda Way Shootout, courtesy of The Honda Way Abbotsford. Fans are encouraged to purchase the Comets package, including a pair of tickets to each Saturday game against the Comets this season. The Comets package starts at $81, call 1-877-452-HEAT (4238) to purchase yours today or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.