Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence
NORFOLK, VA- The Providence Bruins use a two-goal surge in the second period to defeat the Norfolk Admirals 3-2 at the Norfolk Scope Saturday evening.
Providence dominate the shot category 14-4 in the first period and tested Norfolk goaltender Brad Thiessen who made his Admirals debut Saturday night. Thiessen made 14 saves in the first and held Providence scoreless until 14:58 in the second.
The Bruins' Ryan Spooner slid a puck to the goal front from behind Thiessen's cage, which Matt Fraser tried to finish. Thiessen had difficulty locating the puck as it popped out of the pile to the left side. Nick Johnson was there and one-timed it to an empty net as Thiessen was sprawled on the ice.
Providence stayed on the attack and added to their lead less than three minutes later. The Bruins capitalized on another loose rebound when Seth Griffith found the puck as Thiessen was outstretched from an initial save in front. Griffith flung it at Thiessen's backside and the puck deflected off him and into the net for a 2-0 Bruins lead.
Just before the horn sounded for the second intermission, Chris Wagner finished a rebound chance in front of Providence netminder Malcolm Subban to pull the Admirals within one before the break. Wagner's goal came at 18:33 of the middle frame and pulled Norfolk within one at the end of the second period.
A pivotal third period stayed tight through its first half until Providence distanced itself again. Alexander Kohklachev read the defense from behind the goal line and connected with Anthony Camara driving to the net. Camara shelved a beautifully placed puck over Thiessen's right shoulder for another two-goal Bruin advantage with nearly 11 minutes remaining in regulation.
The Admirals charged late with a slap shot marker from Jesse Blacker's stick after an offensive zone faceoff win. Blacker's second goal in as many games arrived with only 28 seconds left in the game and pulled Norfolk within one.
Despite the late goal, it was too little too late for the Admirals as Providence hung on for the 3-2 victory.
Thiessen was relatively strong in net besides two unfortunate rebound markers, making 41 saves on 44 shots. Opposite of him stood Malcolm Subban who made 27 saves on the evening from 29 Norfolk shots. Norfolk's Chris Wagner finished the game with a goal and an assist.
Norfolk drops to 10-8-0-4 on the year while Providence improves to 10-7-1-2. The Admirals are 7th in the Eastern Conference standings and Providence sits a spot behind in 8th.
Norfolk is back on the road next weekend for a Friday and Saturday set at Syracuse. The Admirals return home for a pair of games against the Springfield Falcons on December 13 & 14.
Game tickets are now on sale, and are available through the Norfolk Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, or call (757) 640-1212 Office hours are Monday - Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fans can also visit us online at www.norfolkadmirals.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.