Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Behind two goals by Patrick Eaves and 33 saves from Tom McCollum, the Grand Rapids Griffins on Saturday rolled to their fifth straight win overall and their sixth in a row at home, a 5-1 thrashing of the Texas Stars at Van Andel Arena.
Grand Rapids (15-4-1-1) showed its dominance on both ends of the ice, scoring at least five goals for the sixth consecutive home game while limiting its opponent to no more than a single goal for the fourth time in its last five outings. The Griffins' defense also did a number on the AHL's top two scorers this weekend, limiting Travis Morin and Colton Sceviour to just a lone assist each during the two-game sweep of the Stars.
The Griffins, who maintain a seven-point lead atop the Midwest Division, will continue a season-high seven-game homestand next weekend when the Rochester Americans come to town for a Friday-Saturday set.
The Griffins tallied late in the first and early in the second to jump ahead 2-0. Cory Emmerton connected on a one-timer from above the circles with 2:04 left in the first period, and Alexey Marchenko threaded a wrist shot through traffic from the point 3:41 into the second.
Texas netminder Allen York surrendered goal number three at the 6:50 mark, as Calle Jarnkrok grabbed the puck along the right boards just inside the Texas blue line, raced down to the half-wall and fired a shot that somehow slipped past York as he hugged the right post.
The Stars (11-8-2-2) used a power play to finally solve McCollum on their 26th shot of the night, with Jyrki Jokipakka notching his first AHL goal from the left circle at 17:26, but it took the Griffins just 24 seconds to respond. An Eaves floater from above the right circle eluded York, giving the NHL veteran points in four of his five games as a Griffin.
Eaves added his second goal at the 8:41 mark of the third, reaching his stick out to deflect an Adam Almquist pass into the top of the net.
Two of the Griffins' heavyweights answered the bell in the third period as the Stars' frustrations mounted. Jordin Tootoo pummeled William Wrenn just over seven minutes into the frame, while Triston Grant and Cameron Gaunce went toe-to-toe three minutes later.
McCollum, who made his first appearance in two weeks and earned his first victory since Nov. 6, improved to 7-2 on the season. York finished the night with 30 saves.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Red Wings Training Camp Opens Friday in Traverse City
- Griffins Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule, Ticket On-Sale Date
- Red Wings Release 2019 NHL Prospect Tournament Roster
- Red Wings Re-Sign Dominic Turgeon for One Year
- Griffins Announce Front Office Additions, Promotion