Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons (14-3-1-1) extended their current point streak to eight games Saturday night at the MassMutual Center, defeating the Portland Pirates by the final score of 3-0.
Mike McKenna (6-2-0) earned his second consecutive shutout, stopping all 26 shots he faced in net for Springfield. The St. Louis, Missouri native became the first Falcons netminder to record back-to-back shutouts since Curtis McElhinney accomplished the feat over a year ago - November 9, 2012 versus Connecticut and November 11, 2012 versus Norfolk. McKenna leads all American Hockey League goaltenders in goals-against average (1.45) and save percentage (.945).
Spencer Machacek found the back of the net twice Saturday night for goals number two and three on the season. The 6-foot-1, 195-pound winger deflected a Darryl Boyce point shot past Portland goaltender Mike Visentin at 6:18 of the second period to give Springfield a 2-0 lead. Machacek also added an empty-net tally with 1:17 remaining in regulation, extending the team's lead to 3-0.
Dalton Smith notched the game-winning goal, burying a rebound off of Ilari Melart's initial shot at 6:45 of the first period. For Smith, the goal was his second of the season and first game-winner.
Visentin made 27 saves on 29 shots in net for Portland in a losing effort, falling to 6-7-1 this season.
Neither team was able to convert on the power play. Springfield went 0-for-6 on the man advantage, while Portland went 0-for-4.
The Falcons are back in action Wednesday, December 4 when they visit the Albany Devils for a Northeast Division matchup. The team returns to the MassMutual Center Saturday, December 7 to host the Hartford Wolf Pack at 8:00 p.m.
Fans are invited to the MassMutual Center in 2013-14 to watch the reigning Northeast Division-champion Falcons compete in their 20th anniversary season. Adult season-ticket packages start as low as $13 per game. To reserve your seats for the 2013-14 season, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Support the Falcons throughout the 2013-14 season by wearing red, white and blue at all the home games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.