Comets win over Abbotsford
The Comets evened their November record to 5-5 with a 3-2 win over the league's top team, the Abbotsford Heat, Friday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre.
Yannick Weber, Cal O'Reilly, and Pascal Pelletier picked up the goals for the Comets, as goaltender Joe Cannata picked up his first victory of the season on the way to first star honors.
The Comets last trip to Abbotsford was a pre-season tilt that saw five different fights break out. Tonight's game got off the same way, with Alex Mallet and Turner Elson dropping the gloves just 3:49 into the game. The tempo of the game would not change from there, as the game saw plenty of big hits, and feisty play from both sides.
Despite being outshot 16-7 in the first period, the Comets accounted for all of the period's scoring 12:54 in. Cal O'Reilly reaped the benefits of a fortunate bounce to record his first goal as a Comet. Streaking into the zone, O'Reilly threw a backhand pass intended for Niklas Jensen, but bounced off a Heat defender and past Ortio. Benn Ferriero picked up the secondary assist.
7:36 into the second period the Comets doubled their lead against the AHL's top team, with a goal from Pascal Pelletier. Brandon DeFazio jammed a puck into Ortio from the side of the net. The puck tricked through Ortio and into the crease where Pelletier was waiting all alone to jam home the easy goal.
The Comets got off to a quick start in the third period as Weber's goal came on the Comets first shot of the period. On the power-play, Yannick Weber buried a one-time slapshot from the point, off of a feed from Pascal Pelletier.
The Heat would not go down quiety, as the scored the games final two goals.
14:13 into the period, Michael Ferland broke Cannata's bid for a shutout. Ferland took the feed from Kane Lafranchise and fired home a wrist shot from the right circle, that beat Cannata high glove side.
Just 44 seconds later the Heat cut the Comets lead to one. A mad scramble in front ended after Greg Nemisz knocked in a loose puck for his fourth goal of the season.
The Comets had killed off 17 straight power plays before Ferland's goal in the 3rd period. The Heat outshot the Comets 37-17.
The Comets are back in action Saturday night, again in Abbotsford, as they look for the two-game sweep of the Heat.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.