Weal Keeps on Turning
HARTFORD, CT - The Manchester Monarchs finished the month of November with a 9-2-0-1 record as they topped the Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-1, at the XL Center on Saturday night.
Manchester (15-3-1-3) leads the Atlantic Division with 34 points. Hartford (9-10-0-2) is tied for third place in the Northeast Division with 20 points.
"We played hard and got contributions throughout our line-up," said Head Coach Mark Morris. "To win in Hartford has been tough to do over time, but we were ready from the get go."
Left wing Nick Deslauriers gave the Monarchs their one-goal lead back at the 19-minute mark of the middle stanza with his team-leading ninth tally of the season. Skating on the power play, center Jordan Weal and right wing Zach O'Brien were in the crease jamming at the puck with numerous bodies in front of netminder Jason Missiaen. The puck popped free to Deslauriers at the right point who blasted a slap shot into the net for the go-ahead goal.
The Monarchs struck first with defenseman Cameron Burt's first American Hockey League goal at 5:16 of the opening frame. Center Robbie Czarnik intercepted a clearing pass in the Wolf Pack's zone at the right point. Czarnik tossed a shot on goal that Missiaen halted. The rebound popped free to the slot where Burt wristed a shot into the back of the net for the early 1-0 lead.
Deslauriers was denied on a penalty shot at 14:36 of the middle frame.
Center Darroll Powe tied the game at 1-1 at 17:41 of the second period. Center Brodie Dupont sent a pass from the right wing wall to Powe in the right face-off circle. Powe snapped a quick wrist shot into the top right corner of the net to put the Wolf Pack on the board. Defenseman Dylan McIlrath recorded an assist on Powe's third goal of the season.
Weal picked up an insurance tally at 7:51 of the third period to give Manchester a 3-1 advantage. Wolf Pack defenseman Brendon Nash went to pass the puck to his defensive partner Tommy Hughes, but Weal intercepted and flipped a backhand shot past Missiaen for his fourth goal of the season.
Monarchs goaltender J.F. Berube (6-2-1) earned his sixth victory of the season stopping 31-of-32 shots. Missiaen (2-6-1) took his sixth loss of the season making 30 saves on 33 shots.
Manchester was 1-for-3 on the power play. Hartford went 0-for-4 with the man advantage.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.