IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory
Jussi Olkinuora turned in his finest start as a pro as the St. John's IceCaps defeated the Binghamton Senators 4-3 in a shootout Saturday night at Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton, NY.
The rookie netminder made 36 saves in regulation and overtime and stopped four-of-five in the shootout to collect his second career victory. Jerome Samson had a goal and an assist plus the shootout winner as the IceCaps finished their six-game road trip with a 4-2 record.
Carl Klingberg's goal with 28 seconds left in regulation sent the game to extra time, where St. John's eventually pulled out the win.
Mike Hoffman got the Senators on the board with their first shot of the contest. Hoffman sped past the defence and cut hard to the net, slipping a shot five-hole that beat Olkinuora for a 1-0 Binghamton lead.
After two unsuccessful power plays, the IceCaps finally made good with the man advantage to tie things at one. Kris Fredheim flipped a pass through the middle that was knocked down by Eric O'Dell near the Senators blueline. O'Dell tapped the puck to Samson on the right wing, and the Quebec native snapped his eighth of the season under the blocker of Andrew Hammond.
Binghamton regained the lead in the latter stages of the second period on a nice passing play that was finished off by Stephane Da Costa, who went to the backhand to beat Olkinuora and give the home side a 2-1 lead.
After Wacey Hamilton was given a double minor late in the frame, the IceCaps tied the score at two apiece. Jason Jaffray was stopped on a rebound attempt after a Zach Redmond drive from the point, but Andrew Gordon was there to sweep in the second rebound for his eighth of the season.
The Senators took the lead again midway through the third period. Off the rush, David Dziurzynski capitalized on a rebound and backhanded the puck over Olkinuora's shoulder to give Binghamton a 3-2 advantage.
St. John's forced overtime with just 28 seconds left in regulation after some hard work in the Senators' zone. Kael Mouillierat got the puck to Klingberg behind the net and the third-year pro stuffed in his fourth of the season to tie it 3-3.
After overtime solved nothing, O'Dell and Samson scored in the shootout and Olkinuora stopped Jim O'Brien, the final Senators' shooter, to give the IceCaps the comeback victory.
The IceCaps return home for a four-game home stand starting next Friday against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com and on 930 AM This Is Newfoundland Labrador. Watch on Rogers TV or online at www.ahllive.com. Pregame show begins 30 minutes before puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.