Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were able to rally back from a two-goal deficit in the third period, but David Kolomatis scored with 6.6 seconds left in overtime to give the Hershey Bears a 3-2 win at GIANT Center.
In their previous four meetings this season, the Penguins were forced to come from behind to earn wins over the Bears. Saturday night's game would prove no exception as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton trailed, 2-0, after two periods of play.
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond halved Hershey's lead 3:33 into the third and netted his first goal of the season as he sent a howitzer from the left wing that got by the glove of Hershey goalie David Leggio.
The Penguins were then able to pull even when former Hershey Bear Mike Carman crashed toward the net with 5:15 left in regulation and knocked in a centering pass from the right corner by Adam Payerl.
The two teams skated into overtime and it looked as though they would continue on to the shootout. Kolomatis ended the game with 6.6 seconds left in the extra period, finding a loose puck near the goal mouth and backhanding it across the goal line.
Hershey got the early jump on Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with a power play in the opening minutes of the contest. Stanislav Galiev blasted a one-timer from the far circle that beat goalie Jeff Deslauriers to the blocker side for a 1-0 Bears lead at 3:46.
In the second period, the Bears doubled their lead at 14:31 right after their man-advantage expired. Julian Brouliette fired a shot from the point that was deflected in the slot by Casey Wellman. Deslauriers got a paddle on the bouncing puck, but Jeff Taffe swooped in to deposit the rebound.
Deslauriers fell to 10-5-2 on the season, making 18 saves on 21 shots. Leggio turned aside 30-of-32 for Hershey.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins head to Newfoundland for a two-game set against the St. John's IceCaps, beginning on Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:00 pm EST. Tune into the Sports Hub 102 or AHL Live.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 30, 2013
- Heat Fall 4-3 to Comets in OT - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford in OT - Utica Comets
- Beach Makes It Rain Bears and Hats - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Survives Wild Goaltenders' Duel - Adirondack Phantoms
- Norfolk's Late Rally Falls Short against Providence - Norfolk Admirals
- Ford Nets Pair of Goals in Barons' 3-1 Win - Oklahoma City Barons
- B-Sens Lose in Shootout to St. John's 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Griffins Keep Rolling with 5-1 Win over Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Beach's Hat Trick Sinks Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Split Weekend Home-And-Home, Fall 3-1 To Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Weal Keeps on Turning - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Edge Phantoms 1-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Blank Pirates, Extend Point Streak To Eight Games - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins' Rally Falls Short in OT Loss to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Step up in Win over Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Fall in Hamilton 4-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Monarchs defeat Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bulldogs Mash Monsters 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Battle for Extra Point over Penguins - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Defeat Admirals 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Battle Back for Shootout Victory - St. John's IceCaps
- Stars Fall to Grand Rapids 5-1 - Texas Stars
- McKenna, Falcons Blank Pirates 3-0 - Portland Pirates
- Devils Tie Record; Down Sound Tigers - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Outlasted by Devils, 8-6 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Patrick Kaleta Injury Update - Rochester Americans
- Marlies Drop Amerks 3-2 at Ricoh Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Fall to Marlies in Toronto, 3-2 - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Recall Defenseman Mike Little from ECHL Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Antigo Native Piskula Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Phantoms Recall Carsen Chubak - Adirondack Phantoms
- Dallas Stars Recall Jamie Oleksiak from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Coyotes Sign Gilbert Brule to One-Year, Two-Way Contract - Portland Pirates
- Barons Rally Late, Fall to Rampage in Shootout - Oklahoma City Barons
- Heat Lose to Comets in First of Two in Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Comets win over Abbotsford - Utica Comets
- Rampage Earn 3-2 Shootout Win over OKC on "Movember Night" - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.