Special Teams Lead Mariners Over Growlers
February 4, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Maine Mariners News Release
ST. JOHN'S, NL - On the back of three special teams goals, the Maine Mariners rallied back from an early deficit to defeat the Newfoundland Growlers 5-2 on Saturday night at Mary Brown's Centre. Mathew Santos scored a pair of goals, and was one of four Mariners with multiple points. Reid Stefanson's shorthanded goal late in the 2nd period was the game-winner.
The Mariners peppered Growler goaltender Luke Cavallin with 18 first period shots, doubling up the Growler total. Despite the shot discrepancy, Newfoundland led 2-1 after one. The opening goal came on the power play at 3:54 when Pavel Gogolev steered home a rebound to the left of Francois Brassard. Alex-Olivier Voyer found the equalizer at 7:53, finishing a pass from Tim Doherty. The Growlers regained the lead at 16:10. After Brassard stopped Gogolev on a partial breakaway, Gogolev retrieved the puck behind the net and found Isaac Johnson coming down the slot for a one-timer. With just over a minute left in the period, Newfoundland had a third goal reversed after it was determined to have hit the crossbar.
A barrage of penalties came early in the second period, eventually resulting in a lengthy Mariners 5-on-3. With James Melindy assessed a 5-minute major, the Mariners power play continued, and newcomer Chase Zieky was able to redirect a shot-fake and a pass from the blue line by Grant Gabriele, tying the game 2-2 at 9:01. The Mariners special teams struck again late in the period to give them their first lead of the night, this time capitalizing shorthanded. With Connor Doherty in the box for interference, Alex Kile and Reid Stefanson skated away on a 2-on-1, and Kile fed Stefanson for the go-ahead goal at 17:18. With under a minute to go, Cavallin made an ill-advised pass up the middle that was knocked down by Mathew Santos, who stepped in and wristed home his 14th of the season, putting Maine up 4-2 after 40 minutes.
The only goal of the third period came on the power play from Santos at 16:49, when he was left alone to the right of Cavallin, and was fed by Gabriele, putting it five-hole to increase the Maine lead to three. A late penalty to Conner Bleackley gave Newfoundland a 6-on-4 with their net empty, but Francois Brassard made 23 stops including all nine in the third, to earn his 10th win.
The Mariners (25-13-1-1) have one more game in St. John's tomorrow afternoon starting at 2:30 ET. Coverage can be found on the Mariners Broadcast Network via FloHockey and Mixlr, with pregame coverage at 2:15. The next home game is Friday, February 10th and is Country Night presented by 99.9 The Wolf. Game time is 7:15 PM against the Trois-Rivieres Lions, and will feature Mossy Oak specialty jerseys. It's also a 1-2-3 Friday: $1 candy, $2 popcorn, and $3 Bud Light Drafts until the start of the 2nd period. More information on upcoming promotions can be found at MarinersOfMaine.com/promotions.
Individual game tickets can be purchased online, at the Ware-Butler Box Office inside the Cross Insurance Arena, or by calling 207-775-3458. Family Four Packs are available for all Saturday and Sunday games and can be purchased here. Season-long ticket plans are also still available. More information on ticketing options is available by calling 833-GO-MAINE, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or by visiting MarinersOfMaine.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2023
- Royals Rout Thunder on Pink in the Rink Game, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Pick Up A Point In An Ohio Rivalry Battle - Toledo Walleye
- Idaho Grabs One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss Saturday Night in Tulsa - Idaho Steelheads
- Bednard and Rabbits Shut Out Icemen for Fourth Straight Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Indy Fuel
- Johnson Saves 53, But Blades Fall in OT - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Celebrate 'Hockey for Her,' Come Up Just Short Versus Komets at Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Best Railers 3-1 on Star Wars Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Puppies Provide Smiles for Tough Night on the Ice - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Beat Railers Behind Wall's Spectacular Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Fight to the End, Fall Just Short to Lions - Norfolk Admirals
- Iowa Obliterates Wheeling, 7-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Thunder Fall to Royals 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Special Teams Lead Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grappled 5-2 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- RUSH ROSTER UPDATE: Rush Acquire Jimmy Soper from Norfolk - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday: Black History Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, February 4, 2023 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - February 4 - ECHL
- Americans Looking for Three Straight in Utah - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Railers, February 4 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lions Looking to Take the Series Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- A Crucial Win for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Full Tie Dye Night Details for Tonight's Guinness World Record Attempt - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Go Pink in Series Finale for Annual Pink in the Rink Game - Reading Royals
- Americans Explode For Six Goals, In A 6-2 Win Over Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 6-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Struck Down by Poulter and Thunder in Series Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.