Stingrays Best Railers 3-1 on Star Wars Night
February 4, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Worcester Railers HC News Release
WORCESTER - The Railers lost to South Carolina on Saturday night, 3-1, before a big crowd of 5,872 on Star Wars Night.
It was 3-0 before Reece Newkirk got Worcester's only goal at 18:18 of the third period. That goal came with Henrik Tikkanen on the bench, 58 seconds after Jonny Evans had scored for the Stingrays with Tikkanen on the bench.
Josh Wilkins and Jackson Leppard had the other South Carolina goals. Tyler Wall stopped 29 shots for the winners.
The Stingrays made it 1-0 at 13:55 of the first period on Wilkins' 14th goal of the season. He carried the puck into the Railers zone and used a linemate as a decoy on the right side. Wilkins used a Worcester defender as a screen and snapped a 30-footer over Tikkanen's blocker.
For the second South Carolina goal, Stingrays forward Tarek Baker made a Ferdinand Magellan play - he circumnavigated the offensive globe while controlling the puck - and set up Leppard from behind the net at 6:28.
The Railers were able to generate more offensive pressure after that but did not test Wall very often. Butler had Worcester's best chance, a bit of a breakaway at 12:30, but he was hampered from the side and the puck sort of just slid off his blade.
The night was disappointing for the Railers but not without a couple of highlights. One was the performance of rookie forward Andrei Bakanov, who played the best game of his brief Worcester career and created some energy on his shifts and penalty killing.
Another was rookie Conor Breen's first pro fight in just his third pro game. Breen took on Leppard in the third period and stood his ground nicely. It was the first fighting major ever for a Worcester pro player out of Amherst College.
There has only been one other, Phil Johansson of the 2019-20 Railers.
MAKING TRACKS - Nolan Vesey was back in uniform. Railers who did not play were Liam Coughlin, Noah Delmas, Jack Quinlivan, Philip Beaulieu, Jared Brandt and Zack Bross. ... Tikkanen stopped 29 of 31 shots and has stopped 98 of 105 shots (.933) in his last three starts.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2023
- Royals Rout Thunder on Pink in the Rink Game, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Pick Up A Point In An Ohio Rivalry Battle - Toledo Walleye
- Idaho Grabs One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss Saturday Night in Tulsa - Idaho Steelheads
- Bednard and Rabbits Shut Out Icemen for Fourth Straight Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Indy Fuel
- Johnson Saves 53, But Blades Fall in OT - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Celebrate 'Hockey for Her,' Come Up Just Short Versus Komets at Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Best Railers 3-1 on Star Wars Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Puppies Provide Smiles for Tough Night on the Ice - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Beat Railers Behind Wall's Spectacular Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Fight to the End, Fall Just Short to Lions - Norfolk Admirals
- Iowa Obliterates Wheeling, 7-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Thunder Fall to Royals 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Special Teams Lead Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grappled 5-2 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- RUSH ROSTER UPDATE: Rush Acquire Jimmy Soper from Norfolk - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday: Black History Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, February 4, 2023 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - February 4 - ECHL
- Americans Looking for Three Straight in Utah - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Railers, February 4 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lions Looking to Take the Series Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- A Crucial Win for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Full Tie Dye Night Details for Tonight's Guinness World Record Attempt - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Go Pink in Series Finale for Annual Pink in the Rink Game - Reading Royals
- Americans Explode For Six Goals, In A 6-2 Win Over Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 6-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Struck Down by Poulter and Thunder in Series Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.