Johnson Saves 53, But Blades Fall in OT
February 4, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Florida Everblades News Release
ORLANDO, Fla. - Cam Johnson registered 53 saves, becoming the first Florida Everblades goaltender to face more that 50 shots in more than 12 years, but the Blades dropped a 5-4 overtime heartbreaker to the Orlando Solar Bears Saturday night at Amway Center.
Four different players scored goals and six different players registered assists for Florida.
The first period saw the teams combine for 38 shots on goal, but sensational goalie play on both ends of the ice was the story of the opening 20 minutes. Orlando's Tristan Langan collected the period's only marker at 13:34 to stake the Solar Bears to a 1-0 lead. While the Blades were outshot in the period 21-17. Johnson's 20 saves matched the most stops by an ECHL goalie in the first period this season. Orlando's Jack LaFontaine was just off the pace with 17 saves.
Business picked up in the second period, as the teams combined for five goals, with the Everblades scoring three of them. Cam Darcy (3:17) scored his ninth of the season, Levko Koper (10:42) potted his eighth of the year and second in as many games, and Blake Winiecki (15:08) converted a power-play tally 11th of the campaign. Orlando got game-tying goals from Langan (12:34), his second of the contest, and Shawn Szydlowski (18:28) on the power play.
In the busy second period, Orlando outshot the Everblades 20-12, as Johnson registered made another 18 stops, giving him 38 saves, three off his season high, after 40 minutes.
Both defenses buckled down over the first half of the third period, but both teams would pick up third-period goals. For the Everblades, Joe Pendenza snapped the 3-3 draw with his 15th goal of the year at the 12:28 mark to restore the Blades' lead to 4-3. Orlando would get a third game-tying goal moments later, as Szydlowski's second of the night tied the score at 4-4 at 15:13 as neither team would convert before regulation time expired.
In the overtime period, Orlando's Joe Carroll scored the game-winner 5:10 into the seven-minute extra period.
Orlando outshot the Everblades in regulation 52-38 and 58-42 through overtime.
With the quick two-game road swing out of the way, the Everblades head home to Southwest Florida for a three-game homestand. The Swamp will be ready to rock on Wednesday, February 8 with a 7:30 p.m. contest versus the Jacksonville Icemen. Following the key midweek South Division tilt, the Orlando Solar Bears return to Estero for back-to-back games on Friday, February 10 and Saturday, February 11, with puck drops slated for 7:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., respectively.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2023
- Royals Rout Thunder on Pink in the Rink Game, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Pick Up A Point In An Ohio Rivalry Battle - Toledo Walleye
- Idaho Grabs One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss Saturday Night in Tulsa - Idaho Steelheads
- Bednard and Rabbits Shut Out Icemen for Fourth Straight Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Indy Fuel
- Johnson Saves 53, But Blades Fall in OT - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Celebrate 'Hockey for Her,' Come Up Just Short Versus Komets at Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Best Railers 3-1 on Star Wars Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Puppies Provide Smiles for Tough Night on the Ice - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Beat Railers Behind Wall's Spectacular Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Fight to the End, Fall Just Short to Lions - Norfolk Admirals
- Iowa Obliterates Wheeling, 7-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Thunder Fall to Royals 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Special Teams Lead Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grappled 5-2 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- RUSH ROSTER UPDATE: Rush Acquire Jimmy Soper from Norfolk - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday: Black History Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, February 4, 2023 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - February 4 - ECHL
- Americans Looking for Three Straight in Utah - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Railers, February 4 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lions Looking to Take the Series Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- A Crucial Win for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Full Tie Dye Night Details for Tonight's Guinness World Record Attempt - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Go Pink in Series Finale for Annual Pink in the Rink Game - Reading Royals
- Americans Explode For Six Goals, In A 6-2 Win Over Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 6-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Struck Down by Poulter and Thunder in Series Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Growlers Shut Out Everblades
- Fyten's Game-Winner Tames Growlers
- Fyten Scores in Third Straight Game, But Blades Nipped in Trois-Rivières
- Winiecki's Hat Trick and Pendenza's Game-Winner Tames Lions
- Everblades Bolster Blue Line, Adding Oliver LeBLANC Via Trade with Kalamazoo for Brad Morrison