Iowa Obliterates Wheeling, 7-2
February 4, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Iowa Heartlanders News Release
Wheeling, WV - Brendan Robbins registered his first career multi-goal game, six Iowa Heartlanders scored and Iowa rumbled the Wheeling Nailers, 7-2, Saturday at Wesbanco Arena.
Iowa scored twice in the first, thrice in the second and then added two more in the third. Tommy Parrottino scored his team-leading 12th of the season on the power play with four minutes to go to complete the scoring. Robbins also scored in the third period, extending Iowa to a 6-1 advantage.
Bo Hanson dominated the first period and factored on two goals in the opening 14 minutes, establishing a 2-0 Iowa advantage. First, Justin Wells sprung Hanson to the high slot and the left-handed shot unleashed a slap shot bullet that gave the Heartlanders a 1-0 lead at 2:50 of the first on Iowa's fifth shot.
Hanson then earned the primary assist with six minutes to go in the first; Ted McGeen helped jump start the play by flipping it into the left corner. Hanson jumped in from the blue line and fed the slot for Brendan Robbins for a top-shelf wrister. McGeen earned his first pro point and Hanson registered his first multi-point game. Robbins has four goals this season.
Iowa scored three more times in the second to take a 5-1 edge into the third. Carson Denomie's rip from the right circle on a one-timed slap shot gave Iowa a 3-1 advantage, assisted by a Zach White feed at 2:01. Next, with Nolan Orzeck exiting the box, Alec Broetzman stepped onto the puck at center ice to start a two-on-one. Broetzman patiently waited for an angle at the right slot and the left-handed shot unleashed a wrister that went through the arm pit of the goalie. The goal gave Iowa a 4-0 edge at the 14:02 mark of the second.
After a quick Wheeling response, Jordan Martin tallied his first ECHL goal. Off a tipped puck to the right circle, he slung it low and through the legs of Bailey Brkin. Martin has played two games with Iowa this season.
Hunter Jones made 35 saves.
Brkin was pulled after making 16 saves on 21 shots. Brad Barone (2 goals allowed, eight saves) replaced Brkin for the third.
Iowa completes a three-in-three at Fort Wayne Sunday at 4:00 p.m.
View the team's full promotional schedule at iowaheartlanders.com/promotions.
The Heartlanders are back at home Wed., Feb. 8 to play the Indy Fuel at 7:05 p.m.
Iowa starts a seven-game home stand on Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Wheeling. Feb. 17 - Feb. 19 is the start of Iowa's Cancer Awareness Series, honoring those that have fought, are currently fighting or have battled cancer. Specialty theme jerseys will be worn for the weekend and are available for purchase inclusive of a postgame meet-and-greet on the DASH App. The games against Wheeling are Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:05 p.m., Sat. Feb. 18 at 7:05 p.m. and Sun., Feb. 19 at 2:05 p.m.
The Heartlanders continue the home stand Feb. 22, Feb. 24 and Feb. 25 vs. Indy for Iowa's Diversity Awareness Series, celebrating how sports bring us together. The Heartlanders will demonstrate their commitment to create and environment that fosters inclusion for all. Games take place Wed., Feb. 22 vs. Indy at 7:05 p.m., Fri., Feb. 24 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo and Sat., Feb. 25 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo.
Single-game tickets, group ticket options, partial plans and season ticket memberships are available for Heartlanders home games at Xtream Arena. Call 319-569-PUCK or visit iowaheartlanders.com/tickets for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 4, 2023
- Royals Rout Thunder on Pink in the Rink Game, 6-1 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Pick Up A Point In An Ohio Rivalry Battle - Toledo Walleye
- Idaho Grabs One Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss Saturday Night in Tulsa - Idaho Steelheads
- Bednard and Rabbits Shut Out Icemen for Fourth Straight Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Indy Fuel
- Johnson Saves 53, But Blades Fall in OT - Florida Everblades
- K-Wings Celebrate 'Hockey for Her,' Come Up Just Short Versus Komets at Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Best Railers 3-1 on Star Wars Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Puppies Provide Smiles for Tough Night on the Ice - Wheeling Nailers
- Stingrays Beat Railers Behind Wall's Spectacular Performance - South Carolina Stingrays
- Admirals Fight to the End, Fall Just Short to Lions - Norfolk Admirals
- Iowa Obliterates Wheeling, 7-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Thunder Fall to Royals 6-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Special Teams Lead Mariners Over Growlers - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Grappled 5-2 by Mariners - Newfoundland Growlers
- RUSH ROSTER UPDATE: Rush Acquire Jimmy Soper from Norfolk - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday: Black History Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen, February 4, 2023 - Jacksonville Icemen
- ECHL Transactions - February 4 - ECHL
- Americans Looking for Three Straight in Utah - Allen Americans
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Railers, February 4 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Lions Looking to Take the Series Tonight - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- A Crucial Win for the Lions - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Full Tie Dye Night Details for Tonight's Guinness World Record Attempt - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at Icemen (7:00pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Royals Go Pink in Series Finale for Annual Pink in the Rink Game - Reading Royals
- Americans Explode For Six Goals, In A 6-2 Win Over Utah - Allen Americans
- Americans Defeat Grizzlies 6-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Struck Down by Poulter and Thunder in Series Opener, 5-2 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Heartlanders Stories
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Win OT Thriller, 3-2
- Heartlanders Force OT, Thunder Win It, 3-2
- Jones Shines for his First ECHL Shutout in 2-0 Win over Wings
- Iowa's Late Resilience a Few Short Saturday in 4-2 Loss