San Diego Suffers Shut Out
March 25, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - San Diego Gulls News Release
The San Diego Gulls were shut out 6-0 by the Calgary Wranglers tonight at Scotiabank Saddledome, bringing their overall record to 19-42-1-1 and 10-21-0-0 on the road.
Glenn Gawdin, Dylan Sikura, Chase De Leo and Chase Priskie led all San Diego skaters with five shots in the effort.
Gage Alexander made 31 saves on 37 shots in the loss.
The Gulls will close out their weekend series against the Wranglers at Scotiabank Saddledome this Sunday, Mar. 26 (6 p.m. PDT).
SAN DIEGO GULLS
Forward David Cotton
On the loss to Calgary
For us, I think just have a short memory. Take what we need out of that game, flush it out, look forward to Sunday. Just stay hard, get pucks on net, just try and get havoc around it. You just got to keep with it; you can't get down on yourself.
On the importance of discipline
They're a great team. There's a reason they're at the top of the standings. For us, it's a good judgement to see where we're at right now. I think, you know, it wasn't our best effort tonight, but we're gonna, like I said, flush it and get ready for Sunday.
On his return to the lineup
It was hit or miss. I thought I didn't have my legs out there tonight. Again, like I said, just got to have (a) short memory, take the positives, look over the film. Just be better on Sunday.
Head Coach Roy Sommer
On if the loss was due to a hot team and a hot goaltender
Well, I'll tell you what, that's good hockey club. They're right up there with Coachella and if we don't have 18 skaters that bring their A game, that's what's going to happen. When you do get past them or they do have a breakdown, then you got to run into (Wranglers goaltender Dustin) Wolf, which, I saw him all last year and you can see why he was the goalie of the year last year. He makes you make saves look easy. I mean, we had a lot of good looks and he was on top of it. What can you say? The guy's competitive and probably should be in the NHL right now.
On how a team can get past an effective goaltender like Wolf
Well, you have to get traffic. Anything that comes from the point - he finds pucks. So, if you're not in front of him, he's going to see everything and he's ultra competitive. Even when you get a shot and there's a rebound laying around and you think you've got an opening, and then all sudden he's diving across and making a second stop. We played him 12 times last year in San Jose and I saw him 11 (times) and he never had a bad game. Actually, the only time we (San Jose) beat him last year was when the backup was in.
On the importance of staying out of the penalty box
You have to stay out the box. We talked about that today. We didn't want to see their power play - it's too effective. The other thing is they've got a really good hockey team. You have to stay close - you really can't open it up against them. If you get in a shootout against them, we're not going to win that battle. You know, we just don't have the firepower they do over there. Like I said at the start of this conversation, if everyone's not bringing their A game - which we didn't have again tonight - it was similar that Coachella game. Although, we had a little more compete in us but if you don't bring your A game against them, it's going to be a long night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2023
- Strong Third Period Helps Firebirds Snap Losing Skid - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Silver Knights Defeated by Firebirds in Second Half of Back-To-Back - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tucson Scores Seven Unanswered to Thump Colorado, 7-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Houser Posts Shutout in 1-0 Shootout Win Over Comets - Rochester Americans
- Stars Shrink Magic Number to One with Barber's Overtime Winner - Texas Stars
- Wolves Rally Before Falling to Stars 4-3 in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Americans 1-0 - Utica Comets
- Adam Brooks Strikes in OT - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Clinch Postseason Berth with 4-1 Win Over Crunch - Hershey Bears
- Ads Come Back For Fifth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Bested by Bears, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Stunned in Overtime on Star Wars Night, Lose 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Blanked by Thunderbirds 4-0 in 'I-91 Rivalry' - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sparks Anchors T-Birds' Bounce-Back Shutout of Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Greaves Shutout Performance Leads Monsters to 4-0 Win over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Providence Pulls Away in Third to Defeat Checkers 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bussi, P-Bruins Down Checkers, Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Hogs Sign Maksimovich, Send Trio to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Stifled by Zane McIntyre, Fall 3-0 to Iowa - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McIntyre, Wild Shut out Griffins 3-0 - Iowa Wild
- Alex Kile Recalled to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Forward Alex Galchenyuk Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers Blank Gulls with Dominant Performance at Home - Calgary Wranglers
- Wolf Pack Look to Sweep Back-To-Back Set from Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Host Cleveland Monsters in 2nd Half of Home-And-Home - Toronto Marlies
- Game #63 - Tucson Roadrunners at Colorado Eagles - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tommy Nappier, Chris Ortiz Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Crunch, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Jake Christiansen, Trey Fix-Wolansky from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Grand Rapids Griffins - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Suffers Shut Out - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Tops Abbotsford - Ontario Reign
- Silver Knights Triumph Over Firebirds, 7-4 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Abbotsford Falls 4-1 to Ontario in First of Two Weekend Matchups - Abbotsford Canucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- Anaheim Ducks to Pick Second Overall at 2023 NHL Draft
- Chase de Leo Named 2022-2023 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Anaheim Ducks Name Matt McIlvane Head Coach of San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Stopped by Colorado
- Roy Sommer Announces his Intention to Retire Following the 2022-23 Season