Bears Clinch Postseason Berth with 4-1 Win Over Crunch
March 25, 2023 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Hershey Bears News Release
(Syracuse, NY)-The Hershey Bears (38-16-5-3) clinched their 70th playoff berth in franchise history with a 4-1 victory over the Syracuse Crunch (30-24-5-3) on Saturday night at Upstate Medical University Arena.
The Bears needed a win of any variety to secure a spot in the 2023 Calder Cup Playoffs following Hartford's 4-0 loss to Springfield earlier this evening. With the win, the game marked the earliest date Hershey had clinched a playoff spot since the 2009-10 campaign (March 6).
The victory also extended the point streak for the Bears to five games (4-0-0-1).
Hunter Shepard turned in a phenomenal save for the Bears midway through the opening frame when Simon Ryfors drove to the Hershey net, and the Crunch forward's backhand shot created a rebound for Cole Koepke, which Shepard kept pinned to the goal line with the toe of his pads and keep the game scoreless.
Seconds later, the Bears took a 1-0 lead when Beck Malenstyn stole the puck from Sean Day in the left corner and fed the puck to Shane Gersich in the slot, who buried his sixth of the season on Hugo Alnefelt at 10:16.
Mike Sgarbossa collected his 20th of the season for Hershey with an unassisted goal at 5:17 of the second frame when he stole the puck from Philippe Myers at the red line and raced up the ice on a breakaway before beating Alnefelt low to the blocker side to make it 2-0.
A hit on Julian Napravnik by Syracuse's Daniel Walker prompted a scrap between Walker and Bears captain Dylan McIlrath at 15:28.
The Crunch got on the board with a goal from Daniel Walcott at 19:04 when the forward received a pass from Gabriel Fortier at the net front and elevated the puck over the shoulder of Shepard to bring the hosts to within a goal.
The Bears restored the two-goal advantage at 8:09 of the third when Connor McMichael sent a pass from the right side to Gabriel Carlsson at the left circle, and the defenseman's shot off the right shoulder of Alnefelt rebounded to Napravnik, who put home his fourth of the season to make it 3-1.
Mike Vecchione closed out the scoring with an unassisted empty-net goal at 17:56 for his 22nd of the season.
Shots finished 34-28 in favor of the Crunch. Shepard went 33-for-34 for Hershey to get his 16th victory of the season; Alnefelt was 24-for-27 for Syracuse. The Bears were 0-for-2 on the power play; the Crunch finished 0-for-2 with the man advantage.
Hershey continues the 2022-23 season, presented by Penn State Health, when the Chocolate and White return home to GIANT Center where they will host the Lehigh Valley Phantoms for Dreamer's Hollow Children's Night, presented by Members 1st Federal Credit Union on Sunday, March 26 at 5 p.m. Purchase tickets for the game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2023
- Strong Third Period Helps Firebirds Snap Losing Skid - Coachella Valley Firebirds
- Silver Knights Defeated by Firebirds in Second Half of Back-To-Back - Henderson Silver Knights
- Tucson Scores Seven Unanswered to Thump Colorado, 7-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Houser Posts Shutout in 1-0 Shootout Win Over Comets - Rochester Americans
- Stars Shrink Magic Number to One with Barber's Overtime Winner - Texas Stars
- Wolves Rally Before Falling to Stars 4-3 in OT - Chicago Wolves
- Comets Gain Point in Shootout Loss to Americans 1-0 - Utica Comets
- Adam Brooks Strikes in OT - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Clinch Postseason Berth with 4-1 Win Over Crunch - Hershey Bears
- Ads Come Back For Fifth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Bested by Bears, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Stunned in Overtime on Star Wars Night, Lose 3-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Blanked by Thunderbirds 4-0 in 'I-91 Rivalry' - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sparks Anchors T-Birds' Bounce-Back Shutout of Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Greaves Shutout Performance Leads Monsters to 4-0 Win over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Providence Pulls Away in Third to Defeat Checkers 3-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bussi, P-Bruins Down Checkers, Clinch Spot in Calder Cup Playoffs - Providence Bruins
- Hogs Sign Maksimovich, Send Trio to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Stifled by Zane McIntyre, Fall 3-0 to Iowa - Grand Rapids Griffins
- McIntyre, Wild Shut out Griffins 3-0 - Iowa Wild
- Alex Kile Recalled to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Forward Alex Galchenyuk Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Wranglers Blank Gulls with Dominant Performance at Home - Calgary Wranglers
- Wolf Pack Look to Sweep Back-To-Back Set from Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Toronto Marlies Host Cleveland Monsters in 2nd Half of Home-And-Home - Toronto Marlies
- Game #63 - Tucson Roadrunners at Colorado Eagles - Tucson Roadrunners
- Tommy Nappier, Chris Ortiz Recalled from Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Crunch, 7:00 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Jake Christiansen, Trey Fix-Wolansky from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild vs. Grand Rapids Griffins - Iowa Wild
- San Diego Suffers Shut Out - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario Tops Abbotsford - Ontario Reign
- Silver Knights Triumph Over Firebirds, 7-4 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Abbotsford Falls 4-1 to Ontario in First of Two Weekend Matchups - Abbotsford Canucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Unable to Close Out Series in 4-1 Loss to Americans
- Eastern Conference Finals Game 5 Preview: Bears vs. Americans, 7 p.m.
- Bears Return Home with Series Lead against Amerks
- Former Hershey Coach Spencer Carbery Named Head Coach of Washington Capitals
- Bears Roar Back for 4-2 Win over Amerks, Take 3-1 Series Lead