Penguins Drop 3-2 Game in Bridgeport
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins lost to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2, on Saturday night at Webster Bank Arena.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (25-20-3-5) put up 34 shots in a blue-collar effort, but back-to-back goals by Bridgeport's Simon HolmstrÃ¶m lifted the Sound Tigers to victory.
After a quiet start to the game, Oliver WahlstrÃ¶m whipped a shot past Casey DeSmith's blocker side with 2:18 left in the first period.
After posting 11 shots in the first period, the Penguins upped the ante to 18 bids in the middle frame, two of which went in. After collecting his own rebound, Jamie Devane put Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on the board midway through the second period. Joseph Blandisi later took advantage of the power play at 16:44 of the frame, putting the Penguins in the lead, 2-1.
With only 2:01 remaining before the second intermission, HolmstrÃ¶m's first goal of the night arrived, evening the score, 2-2. HolmstrÃ¶m notched his second consecutive goal and regained the lead for the Sound Tigers at 9:38 of the third period on the power play.
Despite deploying an extra attacker for most of the final three minutes of regulation, the Penguins did not muster an equalizer.
DeSmith made a total of 25 saves while manning the pipes for the Penguins, while Jared Coreau stopped 34 shots for the Sound Tigers.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Feb. 21 against the Hershey Bears. The Penguins' next game is also an Eyewitness News Fan Friday, with lower-bowl seating available for $15 and select draught beers on sale for $2 from 6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Puck drop between the Penguins and Bears is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including Full Season, 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2020
- Stars Shutout by Rampage in 2-0 Loss - Texas Stars
- Comrie the Difference in 1-0 Win over Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Frost Scores to Help Lehigh Valley Earn a Point against Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ville Husso Earns Shutout over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Wild Clipped by Gulls in 5-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Get by Crunch in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Dropped by Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Sweep Hershey Bears With 4-2 Win - Binghamton Devils
- Hot Wild No Match for Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Drop 3-2 Game in Bridgeport - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 4-3, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Double Bears 4-2, Sweep Home-And-Home - Hershey Bears
- Holmstrom scores twice to help Bridgeport extend its points streak to four games (3-0-1-0) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Use Shootout to Complete Comeback Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Shutout by Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Held off by IceHogs in 4-1 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Abols' OT Tip Pushes T-Birds Past Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Come Back to Claim Point But Fall in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beaten in Overtime by Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Mathieu Joseph to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Colton Point to Texas - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Friedman, Knodel and Drake Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Host Senators for Second Half of Home-And-Home - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters Sign Forward Branden Troock to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Heat Take on Tucson Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Hammond, Gilmour from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Devils, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 48 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 15, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Reign Double up Stockton, 6-3 - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Shuts out San Diego in 3-0 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Top Stars in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Tuulola, Ruzicka Post Multi-Point Efforts as Heat Fall to Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Anthony Angello Named Penguins' Winner of IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year
- Penguins Statement Regarding 2019-20 AHL Season
- Penguins Reassign Christopher Brown to Wheeling
- Penguins Slide Past Phantoms with 2-1 OT Win
- Penguins Have Week of Keystone State Rivalry Games