Crunch Edged by Amerks, 4-3, in Shootout
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch were edged by the Rochester Americans, 4-3, tonight in a shootout at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The Crunch pick up one point and extend their points streak to six games as they move to 24-21-3-5 on the season and 2-3-2-1 in the 12-game season series against the Amerks.
Goaltender Spencer Martin stopped 35-of-38 shots and 1-of-3 shootout attempts between the pipes for the Crunch. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen made 15 saves and turned aside both shootout attempts in net for the Amerks. Syracuse was unable to convert on two power play opportunities, while Rochester went 1-for-5.
The Crunch opened scoring 2:44 into the second period. Daniel Walcott chased the puck down and dug it out from a battle along the end boards. His centering feed found Otto Somppi for a quick wrister all alone out front.
Two minutes later, the Amerks evened the score when Brett Murray tipped Andrew Oglevie's right-point shot.
Rochester then took the lead with 7:08 remaining in the middle frame. Casey Mittelstadt cut towards the net and dropped a pass back for Andrew MacWilliam to send home from the left circle.
Syracuse opened the third period with two quick goals 35 seconds apart to go back on top. Just 1:13 into the frame, Danick Martel set up Boris Katchouk for a breakaway that he buried with a backhander. Devante Stephens earned the secondary helper. Seconds later, Alex Volkov fired through traffic from the left circle off assists from Ben Thomas and Ross Colton.
The Amerks knotted the score again at the 5:28 mark when C.J. Smith scored from the right circle.
The teams remained tied through regulation and the overtime frame leading to a shootout. Oglevie scored in the first round before Mittelstadt potted one in the third round to secure the win.
The Crunch travel to face the Belleville Senators on Monday at 2 p.m.
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: The Crunch are 0-5 in shootouts this season...Ross Colton has four assists in his last five games...Ben Thomas has three points in the last two games (1g, 2a).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2020
- Stars Shutout by Rampage in 2-0 Loss - Texas Stars
- Comrie the Difference in 1-0 Win over Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Frost Scores to Help Lehigh Valley Earn a Point against Hartford - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Ville Husso Earns Shutout over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Wild Clipped by Gulls in 5-2 Loss - Iowa Wild
- Amerks Get by Crunch in Shootout - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Dropped by Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Sweep Hershey Bears With 4-2 Win - Binghamton Devils
- Hot Wild No Match for Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Penguins Drop 3-2 Game in Bridgeport - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 4-3, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Double Bears 4-2, Sweep Home-And-Home - Hershey Bears
- Holmstrom scores twice to help Bridgeport extend its points streak to four games (3-0-1-0) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolf Pack Use Shootout to Complete Comeback Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Admirals Shutout by Moose - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Held off by IceHogs in 4-1 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Abols' OT Tip Pushes T-Birds Past Checkers - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Checkers Come Back to Claim Point But Fall in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beaten in Overtime by Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Mathieu Joseph to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Dallas Stars Reassign Goaltender Colton Point to Texas - Texas Stars
- Flyers Recall Friedman, Knodel and Drake Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Host Senators for Second Half of Home-And-Home - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters Sign Forward Branden Troock to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Heat Take on Tucson Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Marlies, February 15 - Belleville Senators
- Sabres Recall Hammond, Gilmour from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Devils, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game 48 Preview: Tucson at Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 15, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Reign Double up Stockton, 6-3 - Ontario Reign
- Iowa Shuts out San Diego in 3-0 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Top Stars in Shootout - San Antonio Rampage
- Tuulola, Ruzicka Post Multi-Point Efforts as Heat Fall to Ontario - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.