Pats Look to End Skid against Struggling Tigers
Regina, Sask. - Tonight the Regina Pats (9-14-0) host the Medicine Hat Tigers (4-15-4) at 7:00 p.m., inside the Brandt Centre.
The Pats are coming off a 5-4 loss on home ice Saturday to the Swift Current Broncos and have now dropped their last four games. The Pats held a 4-3 lead late in the third period, but ran into penalty trouble, leading to two unanswered Broncos goals, blowing their first third period lead of the season. The Pats got a three point game from Connor Bedard (1G-2A) and goals from Easton Armstrong, Borya Valis and Jakob Brook, with Brook scoring his first of the season. The final shots were 29-26 for the Broncos, with the Pats going 1-for-5 on the power play and 5-for-7 on the penalty kill.
Meanwhile, the Medicine Hat Tigers had their franchise record of consecutive losses extend to 15 (0-12-3), following a 6-4 loss to the Wheat Kings in Brandon last night. The Tigers had a 2-1 lead slip away in the second period before climbing back to tie it up at four in the third with the later Wheat Kings scoring two unanswered goals for the win. Lukas Svejkovsky had a goal and an assist and now has 27 points in 20 games, while Reid Andersen, Rhett Parsons and Ashton Ferster also scored. The Shots were 37-25 for Brandon, with the Tigers going 1-for-2 on the power play but 2-for-4 on the penalty kill.
Their last win came back on October 22nd (W, 6-2 vs. PA), with their record being 4-3-0-1 at the time. Last season, they finished 14-8-4-1, and finished tied for seventh in the WHL.
Team Record 4-15-3-1 - 12 points 9-14-0-0 - 18 points
Division Ranking 6th Central 6th East
Conference Ranking 12th Eastern 11th Eastern
League Ranking 22nd 17th
Past 10 Games 0-9-1-0 3-7-0-0
Streak 0-12-3-0 0-4-0-0
Last Game 6-4 L @ Brandon (Dec 7 2021) Final 5-4 L vs Swift Current (Dec 4 2021) Final
Home Record 3-6-1-0 4-7-0-0
Away Record 1-9-2-1 5-7-0-0
GF 60 73
GA 98 87
PP (Overall) (18/86) 20.9% (21/85) 24.7%
PP (Home) (9/39) 23.1% (11/36) 30.6%
PP (Away) (9/47) 19.1% (10/49) 20.4%
PK (Overall) (24/101) 76.2% (24/107) 77.6%
PK (Home) (7/34) 79.4% (12/44) 72.7%
PK (Away) (17/67) 74.6% (12/63) 81.0%
PP vs. Opp. (0/5) 0% (2/4) 50%
PK vs. Opp. (2/4) 50% (0/5) 100%
Leading Rookie Hodass (3-13-16) Svozil (1-14-15)
Most PIM Baker - 52 McNutt - 42
Team PIM/GM 12.8/Game 14.4/Game
Leading Scorers Svejkovsky (11-16-27) Evans (4-18-22)
Hodass (3-13-16) Bedard (12-9-21)
Hopwo (7-7-14) Svozil (1-14-15)
Baker (4-9-13) Howe (8-6-14)
Ferster (6-5-11) Dubinsky (7-7-14)
Last 5 Games 6-4 L @ Brandon (Dec 7 2021) Final 5-4 L vs Swift Current (Dec 4 2021) Final
4-1 L vs Brandon (Dec 4 2021) Final 5-2 L @ Prince Albert (Dec 3 2021) Final
8-2 L @ Edmonton (Dec 3 2021) Final 10-3 L @ Calgary (Nov 28 2021) Final
7-2 L @ Winnipeg (Nov 27 2021) Final 4-2 L @ Red Deer (Nov 27 2021) Final
7-4 L @ Brandon (Nov 26 2021) Final 3-2 W @ Lethbridge (Nov 24 2021) Final OT
Leading After 1st 1-1-0-1 4-0-0-0
Leading After 2nd 2-0-1-0 9-0-0-0
Tied After 1st 3-3-2-0 4-5-0-0
Tied After 2nd 1-3-2-0 0-3-0-0
Trailing After 1st 0-11-1-0 1-9-0-0
Trailing After 2nd 1-12-0-1 0-11-0-0
Out Shooting Opponents 2-6-1-0 7-6-0-0
Out Shot by Opponents 2-9-2-1 2-6-0-0
1 Goal Games 2-3-3-1 2-3-0-0
2 Goal Games 1-5-0-0 2-3-0-0
3 Goal Games 0-2-0-0 2-6-0-0
WHERE TO WATCH/LISTEN
Stream: WHL Live
Today Dante De Caria has the call with Matt Strueby inside the Brandt Centre, with pre-game show coverage starting at 6:35, with puck drop set for 7:00 p.m., on WHL Live, 620 CKRM, 620ckrm.com and the TuneIn app.
HEAD TO HEAD
It's the second of four meetings between the Pats and Tigers this season. The Pats last played the Tigers in Medicine Hat on November 23rd, with Regina coming away with a 6-2 win, snapping the clubs eight game losing-streak against Medicine Hat dating back to 2018. The Pats have dropped the last four meetings to the Tigers at the Brandt Centre since the 2018-19 season.
Date Home Away Time Result
November 23rd Medicine Hat Regina 7:00 p.m. MT W, 6-2
December 8th Regina Medicine Hat 7:00 p.m., CT
February 23rd Regina Medicine Hat 7:00 p.m., CT
March 15th Medicine Hat Regina 7:00 p.m., MT
The Pats are 125-121-12-2-2 vs. the Tigers, all-time & 77-49-5-1-0 at home.
The Pats have been plagued injuries as of late, as Zack Smith and Jake Johnson are out for two to three more weeks with lower-b0dy injuries while Zack Stringer is listed as day-to-day with a lower-body injury...Cole Dubinsky is out indefinite with a lower-body injury.
Captain Logan Nijhoff serves game three of a three game suspension for an illegal hit back on November 28th, at Calgary.
BY THE NUMBERS
9: Game point-streak for Pats 16-year-old forward Tanner Howe (7G-6A-13PTS)...he has also scored in six of his last nine games...he is tied for first among rookies in GWG (2) and third among rookies in power play goals (4)...he also leads the WHL in SH% (38.1%, 8G-21SH).
10: Total points (3G-7A) over Borya Valis' last 11 games after he had just one point (1G-0A) over his first eight games in the WHL...the Denver, CO, native scored his fourth of the season last game, and is third on the Pats in rookie scoring (11 points).
22: Number of points (4G-18A) for Regina Pats defenceman Ryker Evans is tied for third amongst defenceman in in the WHL, while his 18 assists are fifth...he has points in eight of his last 13 games (3G-11A-14PTS-+6)...he also is fifth among defencemen in minor penalties (16).
126: Shots on goal for Regina Pats forward Connor Bedard leads the WHL...the North Vancouver native is averaging 5.47 shots on net per contest along with 12 goals and 21 points in 23 games...he has 6G-5A over his last nine games, and six points (2G-4A) over his three game point-streak.
331: Amount of penalty minutes by the Pats this season is the fourth highest in the WHL...the Pats are averaging 14.4 penalty minutes per game which is the second highest and have been short-handed 107 times this season, ranking fourth most in the league.
The Regina Pats host the first Teddy Bear Toss game at the Brandt Centre since December 7th, 2019, this Friday the Prince Albert Raiders. The Pats then head to Brandon on Saturday, December 11th to take on the Wheat Kings before coming back home on Friday, December 17th where the Pats end the first half schedule with a home and home matchup against the Moose Jaw Warriors.
7:00 p.m., Friday, Dec 10th - Prince Albert Raiders (9-12-2) at Regina Pats (9-14-0)
7:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec 11th - Regina Pats (9-14-0) at Brandon Wheat Kings (12-12-1)
7:00 p.m., Friday, Dec 17th - Moose Jaw Warriors (11-12-2) at Regina Pats (9-14-0)
7:00 p.m., Saturday, Dec 18th - Regina Pats (9-14-0) at Moose Jaw Warriors (11-12-2)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2021
- Unger Backstops Warriors to One-Goal Win over Brandon - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Oil Kings Edge ICE 3-2 - Winnipeg Ice
- Oil Kings Dispatch the ICE - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels' Picks in US Priority Draft Both Express Interest in Coming North - Red Deer Rebels
- Regina's Chili for Children Presented with $40,000 Through Pats We Care Weekdays - Regina Pats
- Americans Select Cardona, Ellingsen in 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Tri-City Americans
- 2021 WHL Prospects Draft Preview, 2020 Draft Review - Swift Current Broncos
- Timafey Kovgoreniya to Play for Team Belarus in IIHF U20 World Championship D1 Group A - Spokane Chiefs
- Vitelli Named Raiders Captain, Allan Named an Alternate - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Host Inaugural Lighthouse Island Bowl - Victoria Royals
- Winterhawks Select Two Top Americans in U.S. Priority Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Add Two Prospects in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Swift Current Broncos
- Chiefs Select Forwards Connelly and McMorrow in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Blades Add Pair of Jr. Kings, Select Weber and Houston in US Priority Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Select Hudson Bjornson and Tyler McGowan in 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Victoria Royals
- Warriors Add Prospects from Texas and California in US Priority Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Hitmen Select Two in 2021 WHL US Priority Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Gameday Preview - December 8 at Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Wheat Kings Sneak Past Tigers in Final Minutes - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Blazers Select Two Players in the 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Raiders Pick Toporowski, Ulrich in 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pats Select McGinley and Bayers in WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Regina Pats
- Western Hockey League Completes 2021 U.S. Priority Draft - WHL
- Cougars WHL U.S. Priority Draft Recap - Prince George Cougars
- Rebels Select Two Players at 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets Select Teammates in US Priority Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Hurricanes Select Lackas, Azelton in WHL US Priority Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Oil Kings Select Tory Pitner and Tyler Atchison in 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Select Mikhail Levaniuk and Drake Murray in 2021 US Prospects Draft - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Select Aidan Yi, Cody Polumbus in WHL U.S. Prospects Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Game 26 - Edmonton at ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Back to Work in Moose Jaw - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Reinforced Oil Kings Set Sights on Top Spot - WHL
- Fabian Lysell, Jesper Vikman Both Named to Sweden's World Junior Team - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Look to End Skid against Struggling Tigers - Regina Pats
- Preview: Warriors Return to Home Ice to Host Brandon - Moose Jaw Warriors
- T-Birds Defuse the Rockets - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Seattle Burns Rockets in Shootout - Kelowna Rockets
- Rossburn Rifle Lifts BWK to Win over Tigers - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Davies Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Raiders - Swift Current Broncos
- Warriors Prepared for Busy Draft Week - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.