Oilers Knock off Rapid City in Final Game of Home Stand
TULSA, OK - 2019 is off to a good start for the Tulsa Oilers (19-12-6), who finished a four-game home stand with a 5-2 win over a short-handed Rapid City Rush (15-18-5) Tuesday at the BOK Center. The win was Tulsa's third in four games to start the new year and sixth victory in the last seven games. The Oilers end the night in a tie for first place in the Mountain Division.
The Oilers grabbed an early 6-0 shots advantage, but Rapid City scored on its first shot of the game, a deflection off the stick of Shaquille Merasty on a Rush power play. Tulsa tied it at 1-1 when Alex Globke cleaned up a rebound and lifted the puck past Tyler Parks. Ian McNulty gave the Oilers a 2-1 lead after stepping into the zone and blasting a shot into the net from the point. Parks stopped 16 of 18 attempts in the opening frame, while Oilers goaltender Devin Williams made five saves on six shots in the period.
Charlie Sampair gave the Oilers a brief two-goal cushion when he followed up his initial shot which was blocked and buried a quick snap-shot into the back of the net. Late in the middle frame, Merasty deflected another shot in front of the Oilers net for his second goal of the game to bring Rapid City back to within one. Tulsa's shots advantage over the Rush, who played two-men short, grew to 30-11 through 40 minutes.
Tulsa made it 4-2 in the third, when Scott Henegar raced in behind the defense and lifted a shot under the crossbar, and Tommy Mele scored the fifth goal on a backdoor pass from Alex Kromm. The Oilers outshot the Rush 45-19, as Williams won for the sixth time in his last eight starts.
The Oilers and Rush hit the road and head up to South Dakota for a pair of games Friday and Saturday at 8:05pm CT at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City. Catch all the action on the Sports Animal radio network in Tulsa, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with pregame coverage starting at 7:45pm CT.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 8, 2019
- Fuel Cruise to Home Victory over Kansas City - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Knock off Rapid City in Final Game of Home Stand - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Pair of Goals Completes Comeback in 3-2 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Mavs Late Surge in Indy Comes up Short, Fall 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Fall Late to Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Overpowered in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Double up the Mariners 8-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Admirals Add a Trio of Defensemen to Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Defenseman Justin Wade Loaned to Everblades from Cleveland - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 8 - ECHL
- Spencer Naas Joins Steelheads, McClure and Phelan to Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Sign Forward Alec Butcher - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings Host Alumni Game on January 19 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Send Murphy to Maine to Complete November Deal - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Acquire Murphy to Complete Trade with Kalamazoo - Maine Mariners
- All-Star Coaches Named - Toledo Walleye
- Ralph Named Eastern Conference Coach for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Florida Everblades
- Coaches Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Thomas Named Western Conference All-Stars Head Coach - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sharks Reassign Brodzinski, Donaghey from Solar Bears to Barracuda - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fort Wayne's Fucale Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Idaho's Petryk Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Thunder Add Goalie to Roster with Addition of Dillon Kelley - Adirondack Thunder
- Reid Petryk Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Alex Breton Returned from AHL Loan, Named ECHL All Star - Allen Americans
- Mariners Weekly: Canadian Voyage - Maine Mariners
- Komet Zach Fucale Snares ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wings Weekly: Gardiner's Impressive Streak Leads K-Wings into Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals continue to get points, host Adirondack Wednesday - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Oilers Stories
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - November 18
- Oilers Defeat Steelheads in Shootout Thriller on Autism Awareness Night
- Despite Late Surge, Oilers Fall 5-4 to Rapid City
- Oilers Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton from Orlando in Exchange for Eric Drapluk
- Oil Drops: Oilers End Week with First Road Win Before Autism Awareness Night on Saturday