Spencer Naas Joins Steelheads, McClure and Phelan to Texas
BOISE, Idaho - Forward Spencer Naas has been assigned to the Idaho Steelheads by the Texas Stars (AHL), and forwards Brad McClure and James Phelan have been recalled by AHL Texas, Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations announced Tuesday.
Naas, 23, played six games following his recall to AHL Texas on December 15 in his first stint at that level this season. The St. Louis Park, Minn., product has now played 18 AHL games over the last two seasons, posting four goals and three assists for seven points. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound forward returns to the Steelheads after playing 26 games to open the season, tabbing seven goals and six assists for 13 points.
McClure, 25, opened his first professional season with 33 games in Idaho, tallying 14 goals and 15 assists for 29 points with two power play goals, three game-winning goals and a plus-eight rating. The Stratford, Ont., native leads the Steelheads in scoring and is tied for the team lead in goals while also sitting tied for sixth in scoring among ECHL rookies. McClure was signed to an AHL contract this summer and assigned to the Steelheads following Texas Stars Camp. This will be his first appearance in the AHL.
Phelan, 25, returns to AHL Texas following two games with the Steelheads this weekend in Tulsa. The Laval, Que., product joined the Steelheads on Saturday following 27 games with AHL Texas, posting three goals and two assists for five points. Phelan played five seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) prior to his first professional season this year.
In a separate transaction, forward Anthony McVeigh has been released from his contract.
The Steelheads return to action at CenturyLink Arena this Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 7:10 p.m., opening a three-game weekend against the Toledo Walleye.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 8, 2019
- Fuel Cruise to Home Victory over Kansas City - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Knock off Rapid City in Final Game of Home Stand - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Pair of Goals Completes Comeback in 3-2 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Mavs Late Surge in Indy Comes up Short, Fall 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Fall Late to Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Overpowered in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Double up the Mariners 8-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Admirals Add a Trio of Defensemen to Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Defenseman Justin Wade Loaned to Everblades from Cleveland - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 8 - ECHL
- Spencer Naas Joins Steelheads, McClure and Phelan to Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Sign Forward Alec Butcher - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings Host Alumni Game on January 19 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Send Murphy to Maine to Complete November Deal - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Acquire Murphy to Complete Trade with Kalamazoo - Maine Mariners
- All-Star Coaches Named - Toledo Walleye
- Ralph Named Eastern Conference Coach for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Florida Everblades
- Coaches Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Thomas Named Western Conference All-Stars Head Coach - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sharks Reassign Brodzinski, Donaghey from Solar Bears to Barracuda - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fort Wayne's Fucale Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Idaho's Petryk Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Thunder Add Goalie to Roster with Addition of Dillon Kelley - Adirondack Thunder
- Reid Petryk Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Alex Breton Returned from AHL Loan, Named ECHL All Star - Allen Americans
- Mariners Weekly: Canadian Voyage - Maine Mariners
- Komet Zach Fucale Snares ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wings Weekly: Gardiner's Impressive Streak Leads K-Wings into Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals continue to get points, host Adirondack Wednesday - Reading Royals