Mariners Acquire Murphy to Complete Trade with Kalamazoo
PORTLAND, ME - The Kalamazoo Wings sent forward Wade Murphy to the Mariners on Tuesday, completing a November 11th deal that saw forward Colin Jacobs dealt to the Wings for future considerations. Murphy joins his fifth ECHL team.
Murphy (5'11, 176 lbs) is a 25-year-old from Victoria, B.C. and was a 2013 draft pick of the Nashville Predators (round 7, 185 overall). After a highly successful career in the BCHL with Victoria and Penticton, Murphy begin a career in NCAA hockey at the University of North Dakota. After two seasons there where he struggled to put up points, he transferred to Arizona State and enjoyed a solid final year in 16-17 when he scored nine goals and added 11 assists in 31 games.
After finishing college, Murphy signed an ATO with the Manchester Monarchs and played 14 games in the second half of 2017, with two goals and four assists. He split last season between the Worcester Railers (17 games) and Greenville Swamp Rabbits (35 games), with three goals and nine assists at both stops. He signed with Kalamazoo in September. In 23 games with the K-Wings this season, he's scored six goals with four assists.
The Mariners are on an eight-day Canada trip that is taking them to Newfoundland tonight and Wednesday (5:30 PM ET faceoff each night) and Brampton on Saturday (7:15 PM) and Sunday (2:00 PM). They will return home on Wednesday, January 16th to host Newfoundland at 7:00 PM. Tickets to all home games can be purchased at MarinersOfMaine.com or by calling 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 8, 2019
- Fuel Cruise to Home Victory over Kansas City - Indy Fuel
- Oilers Knock off Rapid City in Final Game of Home Stand - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Pair of Goals Completes Comeback in 3-2 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Mavs Late Surge in Indy Comes up Short, Fall 4-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Monarchs Fall Late to Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Overpowered in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Double up the Mariners 8-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Admirals Add a Trio of Defensemen to Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Defenseman Justin Wade Loaned to Everblades from Cleveland - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 8 - ECHL
- Spencer Naas Joins Steelheads, McClure and Phelan to Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers Sign Forward Alec Butcher - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings Host Alumni Game on January 19 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wings Send Murphy to Maine to Complete November Deal - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Acquire Murphy to Complete Trade with Kalamazoo - Maine Mariners
- All-Star Coaches Named - Toledo Walleye
- Ralph Named Eastern Conference Coach for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - Florida Everblades
- Coaches Named for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- Thomas Named Western Conference All-Stars Head Coach - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Sharks Reassign Brodzinski, Donaghey from Solar Bears to Barracuda - Orlando Solar Bears
- Fort Wayne's Fucale Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Idaho's Petryk Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Thunder Add Goalie to Roster with Addition of Dillon Kelley - Adirondack Thunder
- Reid Petryk Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Idaho Steelheads
- Alex Breton Returned from AHL Loan, Named ECHL All Star - Allen Americans
- Mariners Weekly: Canadian Voyage - Maine Mariners
- Komet Zach Fucale Snares ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wings Weekly: Gardiner's Impressive Streak Leads K-Wings into Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals continue to get points, host Adirondack Wednesday - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.