Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss
KALAMAZOO, MI - A 51-21 shots advantage was not enough for the Tulsa Oilers (13-6-4) to snap out of a four-game skid Saturday as the Kalamazoo Wings (9-10-1) used a late goal to top the Oilers 3-2 at the Wings Event Center.
The Oilers peppered Wings goaltender Ivan Kulbakov to a tune of 21 shots in the opening period, but the Belarussian goaltender stopped all of them to keep Tulsa off the board. Kalamazoo scored first when Justin Taylor snuck free in the slot and extended his goal streak to five games 3:36 into the game.
Late in the middle frame, the Oilers finally snapped Kulbakov's shutout bid, as Charlie Sampair scored his second goal since returning to Tulsa from San Antonio earlier in the week. With the game tied 1-1, the Wings jumped back in front with just over a minute to play in the second period when Kyle Blaney deflected a shot through the legs of Oilers goaltender Devin Williams. Kalamazoo carried the 2-1 lead into the final stanza.
Ryan Tesink scored late to tie the game at 2-2 and extend his point streak to five games, but Tanner Sorenson provided the game-winner in the final three minutes to extend the Wings' win streak to five games. Kulbakov stopped 49 of 51 in the win.
The Oilers finish off the weekend Sunday with a 4:00pm CT battle against the Fort Wayne Komets at Memorial Coliseum. Catch all the action on The Sports Animal radio network in Tulsa, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with coverage starting at 3:40pm CT. Tulsa then heads to Cincinnati for a Wednesday night tilt against the Cyclones at U.S. Bank Arena.
Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2018
- Cammarata's Third Period Goal Not Enough as Monarchs Edge Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets - Indy Fuel
- Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Comeback in KC Spoiled by Two Late Mavericks Goals - Allen Americans
- Kulbakov Leads K-Wings to Teddy Toss Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Drops Game in Overtime After Controversial No Call - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Admirals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Huntebrinker Stays Hot to Bounce Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- McParland Heads to Stockton, Dodero and Payne Join Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Besse Earns AHL Call-Up to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 8 - ECHL
- Lightning Prospect Oleg Sosunov Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 8, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fan Favorite Biggs Returns to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Americans Close Weekend Set Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Teddy Toss Night in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Look for Weekend Sweep against Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Cruises Past Rapid City, 5-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Extend Streak to Four Wins, Take Down Utah 4-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall to Mavs in the First of a 6-Game Road Trip - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.