Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers used a powerful effort from the man advantage and a great goaltending performance on Saturday night, as they silenced 7,861 fans at Huntington Center. Michael Phillips and Cam Brown both had three-point games, while Jordan Ruby made 28 saves in a 5-2 Wheeling win against the Toledo Walleye.
The two teams exchanged goals less than a minute apart from each other in the early stages of the first period. The first team on the board was Wheeling, who was successful on the man advantage. Alex Rauter tossed a shot on goal that was stopped by Pat Nagle. Winston Day Chief and Michael Phillips battled for the rebound, and Phillips got the final swing, which propelled the puck in from the left side. Toledo's response came 56 seconds later, courtesy of Jordan Topping, who redirected Marcus Crawford's wrist shot from the right point.
Power play goals created the story of the middle frame, starting with the Walleye at the 48-second mark. Dan DeSalvo's shot got blocked into the left circle, where Bryan Moore stepped up and clobbered a slap shot. The Nailers continued their dominance with the man advantage, tying the score, then taking the lead. Phillips zipped a perfect pass through the slot to Cam Brown, who whacked in a one-timer from the bottom of the right circle. 1:51 later, Brown returned the favor, setting up Phillips for his second of the night from the left circle.
Wheeling put the game away in the third period, tacking on two more insurance goals. Brown fed Nick Saracino for a tip-in at the 8:33 mark, then Winston Day Chief put the final icing on the cake with an empty netter in the closing seconds for the 5-2 victory.
Jordan Ruby was solid again in net for the Nailers, earning a win against one of his former squads with 28 saves on 30 shots. Pat Nagle took the loss for Toledo, giving up four goals on 28 shots.
The Nailers return home on Sunday afternoon for a 3:05 game against the Indy Fuel, which also features a Post Game Skate with the Team. The next big promotional game is NailerMania on December 15th, starring WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley. Teddy Bear Toss and Ugly Sweater Night will also be part of that fun-filled game. Family Four Packs are available for NailerMania, thanks to WTRF - for $60, fans get four tickets, four hats, and four McDonald's Meal Vouchers. 2018 Holiday Packages are now available as well. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2018
- Cammarata's Third Period Goal Not Enough as Monarchs Edge Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets - Indy Fuel
- Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Comeback in KC Spoiled by Two Late Mavericks Goals - Allen Americans
- Kulbakov Leads K-Wings to Teddy Toss Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Drops Game in Overtime After Controversial No Call - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Admirals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Huntebrinker Stays Hot to Bounce Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- McParland Heads to Stockton, Dodero and Payne Join Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Besse Earns AHL Call-Up to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 8 - ECHL
- Lightning Prospect Oleg Sosunov Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 8, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fan Favorite Biggs Returns to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Americans Close Weekend Set Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Teddy Toss Night in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Look for Weekend Sweep against Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Cruises Past Rapid City, 5-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Extend Streak to Four Wins, Take Down Utah 4-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall to Mavs in the First of a 6-Game Road Trip - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.