Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits
ESTERO, Fla. - A back-and-forth affair saw both teams hold a lead, and both teams battle back. Ultimately, Nate Perkovich's game-winning goal at the 15:49 mark of the third period held up, and the Everblades' standings point streak was extended to 11 games as they defeated the Greenville Swamp Rabbits 5-4 on Saturday night at Hertz Arena.
Perkovich tallied three goals on the weekend, and on a feed from first star of the night Michael Neville, found the back of the net. It was one of two Everblades goals in the second period, in response to two goals by the Swamp Rabbits in the middle frame.
A late push by the Swamp Rabbits, including nine shots in the third period, fell short. A mix-up on a line change led to a Too Many Men on the Ice penalty against Greenville, which ended the comeback effort.
Down 3-2 heading into the second period, the Swamp Rabbits struck early. At the 6:30 mark, Greenville forced a steal down low in the offensive zone, and Thomas Ebbing and Brendan Harms connected on a passing play that found Trevor Owens all alone, and his shelf bested Florida goaltender Jamie Phillips to tie the game. But, much like any response that came from the 'Blades on Saturday, it happened immediately. John McCarron, off of a neutral zone turnover, found the net, and re-took the lead.
A dangerous hit behind the Swamp Rabbits' net on Jon Jutzi led to a major power play opportunity for Greenville. On said power play, late in it, Austen Brassard connected from the right circle to once again tie the game, before giving up the game-winning goal four minutes later.
The first period ended 3-2 in favor of the Everblades, with five goals scored on 20 shots on goal total. Back-to-back goals from Jake Bolton on the power play and Will Merchant at even strength gave the Swamp Rabbits a 2-1 lead, but 44 seconds later, Neville posted a fluky goal off of a defensive skate and past Garrett Bartus to tie the game once again.
Justin Auger, in his return to the Everblades, scored four minutes into the first period to get the teddy bears tossed onto the ice. After a lengthy delay, the play resumed. Auger scored again later in the period to give the Everblades their one-goal lead after the first period.
The Swamp Rabbits' power play went 2-for-5 on the night, and outshot the 'Blades 26-24.
The Swamp Rabbits return to action on Sunday, December 9 in Orlando to take on the Solar Bears at 1:30 p.m. Catch all of the action on the Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network, or on the ECHL's streaming video provider, ECHL.TV.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2018
- Cammarata's Third Period Goal Not Enough as Monarchs Edge Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets - Indy Fuel
- Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Comeback in KC Spoiled by Two Late Mavericks Goals - Allen Americans
- Kulbakov Leads K-Wings to Teddy Toss Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Drops Game in Overtime After Controversial No Call - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Admirals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Huntebrinker Stays Hot to Bounce Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- McParland Heads to Stockton, Dodero and Payne Join Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Besse Earns AHL Call-Up to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 8 - ECHL
- Lightning Prospect Oleg Sosunov Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 8, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fan Favorite Biggs Returns to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Americans Close Weekend Set Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Teddy Toss Night in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Look for Weekend Sweep against Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Cruises Past Rapid City, 5-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Extend Streak to Four Wins, Take Down Utah 4-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall to Mavs in the First of a 6-Game Road Trip - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Release Season Opening Roster
- Swamp Rabbits Watch Party on October 12 at Dave & Buster's
- Checkers Assign Lacroix to Swamp Rabbits; Roster Trimmed Down
- Swamp Rabbits Opening Night on October 18