Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Despite trailing the Atlanta Gladiators (5-11-4-0) by two goals in the third period, the South Carolina Stingrays (13-11-0-0) came back to tie things up after two power play goals by Cam Askew and won the game 4-3 in overtime on a goal by Tad Kozun.
Forward Matt Pohlkamp scored in the final minute of the second period to bring 8,570 stuffed animals to the ice as part of the team's Teddy Bear Toss night, the most SC has ever had in its history with the event.
Pohlkamp finished the contest with a goal and two assists to lead the way offensively for South Carolina, while captain Joey Leach had two assists and goaltender Parker Milner earned the win with 29 saves.
The two teams were scoreless after one period of play, despite South Carolina having a 15-8 shots on goal advantage in the opening frame.
Atlanta netted two goals at the start of the second period to take a commanding 2-0 advantage in the contest. Branden Troock potted the first tally at 1:48 of the middle frame, while defender Jake Flegel struck for the Gladiators at 3:29.
In the final minute of the second, Pohlkamp sent the teddy bears to the ice with his sixth goal of the season, knocking home a rebound at the front of the net. Defenseman Cameron Bakker and forward Sam Fioretti earned assists on the Rays' first goal of the game that cut the Atlanta lead to 2-1.
Troock scored his second goal of the game at 5:56 of the third to push Atlanta's edge back to 3-1.
But Askew answered with back-to-back power play goals at 7:04 and 9:55 of the third to get South Carolina even in the contest at 3-3. Askew's first came on a re-direct in front of the net off a shot by Leach, before finding a loose rebound in front of the net off an initial shot by Andrew Cherniwchan. Pohlkamp had the second assist on both of the power play tallies.
The game stayed even at 3-3 until the end of regulation. In overtime, Kozun scored the game-winner from Leach and Patrick Gaul at 1:35 of the extra session, driving to the front of the cage and potting a rebound off a backhander by Leach at the side of the net.
South Carolina won the special teams battle in the game, scoring twice on the man-advantage and finishing 2-for-7 in the game on the power play. They also held Atlanta's PP unit, which came into the game ranked No. 1 in the ECHL, off the board at 0-for-6. Gladiators' goaltender Colton Phinney stopped 34 shots in the loss.
South Carolina travels to Atlanta to complete their weekend of three games with a 3:05 p.m. contest on Sunday afternoon at the Infinite Energy Center. The Stingrays return home to once again battle the Gladiators on Wednesday night at 7:05 before hosting Greenville for Nickelodeon Night next Saturday, December 15. The game will feature specialty Double Dare jerseys!
Tickets are on sale now! For more information or to purchase, contact the Stingrays by phone at 843-744-2248 or visit 3300 W. Montague Ave. Suite A-200 during business hours.
Images from this story
South Carolina Stingrays' Teddy Bear Toss
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2018
- Cammarata's Third Period Goal Not Enough as Monarchs Edge Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets - Indy Fuel
- Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Comeback in KC Spoiled by Two Late Mavericks Goals - Allen Americans
- Kulbakov Leads K-Wings to Teddy Toss Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Drops Game in Overtime After Controversial No Call - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Admirals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Huntebrinker Stays Hot to Bounce Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- McParland Heads to Stockton, Dodero and Payne Join Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Besse Earns AHL Call-Up to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 8 - ECHL
- Lightning Prospect Oleg Sosunov Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 8, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fan Favorite Biggs Returns to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Americans Close Weekend Set Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Teddy Toss Night in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Look for Weekend Sweep against Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Cruises Past Rapid City, 5-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Extend Streak to Four Wins, Take Down Utah 4-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall to Mavs in the First of a 6-Game Road Trip - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.