Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets
FORT WAYNE, INDIANA - A power play opportunity at the beginning of the second period allowed Matt Rupert to position himself in front of the net to redirect a shot from Radovan Bondra to give the Fuel their first lead of the night that would continue to the end.
Fort Wayne's (11-10-0) Shawn Sydlowski and Indy's (11-11-0) Miles Liberati had a confrontation that led Komet's Justin Kea to get involved. Refs broke up the altercation before a fight could ensue but resulted in unsportsmanlike conduct's for all three of the players. With Indy on the power play forward Rupert lingered in front of the net to tap in a rebound from Bondra at 6:15 to bring the Fuel to a 2-1 score.
Less than two minutes left to go in the second the Fuel found themselves on the penalty kill for the fourth time that night after Zach Miskovic got called for tripping. Forward Mathew Thompson had a breakaway goal on a 2-on-1 rush burying the puck in the net to extend the lead to 3-1.
Fort Wayne was able to get on the board first with a breakaway short handed goal from Jamie Schaafsma at 9;55 in the first period. Less than four minutes later Rupert had his first goal of the night at 12:25 with a dagger from the left circle bouncing into the net past Komet's goalkeeper Lukas Hafner.
Komet's Jason Binkley shortened the Fuel's lead with a goal 27 seconds into the third period but Indy's Olivier Labelle notched his eieth of the season 30 seconds later. An empty netter from Rupert at 19:51 brought the final score to 5-3.
Fort Wayne out shot Indy 30 to 23 while the Komets finished 0-for-4 on the power play and the Fuel finished 1-for-4.
Goaltender Matt Tomkins had 28 saves on 30 shots while Hafner had 18 saves on 22 shots.
The Fuel continue their three game road trip tomorrow in Wheeling, West Virginia at the Wesbanco Arena. They then return to the Indiana Farmers Coliseum to take on the Tulsa Oilers on Dec. 14-15.
Single-game tickets are now on sale for the Fuel's 5th anniversary season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2018
- Cammarata's Third Period Goal Not Enough as Monarchs Edge Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets - Indy Fuel
- Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Comeback in KC Spoiled by Two Late Mavericks Goals - Allen Americans
- Kulbakov Leads K-Wings to Teddy Toss Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Drops Game in Overtime After Controversial No Call - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Admirals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Huntebrinker Stays Hot to Bounce Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- McParland Heads to Stockton, Dodero and Payne Join Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Besse Earns AHL Call-Up to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 8 - ECHL
- Lightning Prospect Oleg Sosunov Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 8, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fan Favorite Biggs Returns to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Americans Close Weekend Set Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Teddy Toss Night in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Look for Weekend Sweep against Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Cruises Past Rapid City, 5-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Extend Streak to Four Wins, Take Down Utah 4-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall to Mavs in the First of a 6-Game Road Trip - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.