'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games
ESTERO, Fla. - Jamie Phillips made an individual season-high 36 saves and the Florida Everblades scored in every period to extend their season-high point streak to 10 games (8-0-2-0) with a 4-2 win over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Friday night at Hertz Arena.
Blake Winiecki and Nathan Perkovich scored in the first eight minutes of the first period, John McCarron added a power-play goal in the second period, and Perkovich sealed the win with an empty-net score in the final 20 seconds in the 'Blades third straight win.
Special teams played a big factor to help the 'Blades (13-5-4-0, 30 pts.) earn at least one point for the ninth straight home game. Florida killed off three different five-on-three power plays - three minutes, three seconds of total time down two players - and McCarron's power-play marker in the middle frame proved to be the eventual game-winning goal in the first meeting with the Swamp Rabbits (9-13-3-0, 21 pts.) this season.
Winiecki set the tone early for Florida, scoring his sixth goal of the year just a minute into the game for the 'Blades fastest goal this season. After picking the puck off in the neutral zone, Winiecki chugged into the Swamp Rabbits zone and sent a pass to the left circle to Shane Walsh who curled it back to Winiecki in the left circle. Winiecki cranked a wrist shot past the glove side of Swamp Rabbits netminder Chris Nell to give Florida a 1-0 edge.
Greenville responded at 4:27 of the period to tie the game at 1-1. Off a faceoff win from Stephen Pierog, Johno May skated the puck behind the Blades' net, wrapped it around the backside and beat a sliding Phillips for the goal.
Florida took just three minutes, 33 seconds to surge back ahead, scoring at the eight-minute mark to secure the lead for good. Following a key effort to keep the puck in the zone, defenseman Ben Masella ripped a shot from the right point that Perkovich deflected while standing in the right circle to beat Nell again on the glove side.
The Everblades added their third goal of the night just 2:37 into the second period to stretch their lead to 3-1. Derek Sheppard cranked a slap shot from the middle of the blue line, and McCarron got a piece to redirect the puck past Nell for his eighth score of the year.
The Blades' faced their longest five-on-three situation of the night with one minute, 13 seconds to kill at the 6:40 mark of the second period. But Florida navigated through both penalties unscathed to keep hold of the two-goal lead.
The Swamp Rabbits brought the score within one with 5:54 to play in the game. After the puck was tied up in the Blades' slot, May picked up his second goal of the night with a shot that barely clipped inside the left post on Phillips' blocker side.
Perkovich potted his second empty-net goal in the last two games to seal the win with 17 seconds to play. That tally gave Perkovich his first multi-goal game of the season.
With the win, Phillips improved to 5-0-0 at Hertz Arena this season and has yet to allow more than two goals in any of those five starts.
Florida wraps up the six-game homestand with the series finale against Greenville on Saturday night. Saturday is the 'Blades 20th annual Teddy Bear Toss presented by Florida Community Bank. Florida will wear special teddy bear-themed jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game to benefit Animal Refuge Center.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
The Florida Everblades' Nathan Perkovich (second from left) had his first multi-goal game of the season on Friday night
(Kevin Bires Photography)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 8, 2018
- Cammarata's Third Period Goal Not Enough as Monarchs Edge Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Hat Trick from Matt Rupert Leads Fuel to Victory over Komets - Indy Fuel
- Askew, Kozun, Pohlkamp Help Toss One into Win Column - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Comeback in KC Spoiled by Two Late Mavericks Goals - Allen Americans
- Kulbakov Leads K-Wings to Teddy Toss Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Outlast Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Win Back-And-Forth Battle with Allen - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Drops Game in Overtime After Controversial No Call - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Sink Admirals, 4-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Oilers Dominate Wings in 3-2 Loss - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers Sink Walleye, 5-2 - Wheeling Nailers
- Huntebrinker Stays Hot to Bounce Growlers, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- McParland Heads to Stockton, Dodero and Payne Join Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Besse Earns AHL Call-Up to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - December 8 - ECHL
- Lightning Prospect Oleg Sosunov Reassigned to Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: Everblades Face Greenville on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Florida Everblades
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, December 8 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Preview: Monarchs at Admirals, December 8, 2018 - Norfolk Admirals
- Fan Favorite Biggs Returns to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Americans Close Weekend Set Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: Teddy Toss Night in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Look for Weekend Sweep against Growlers - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose 4-2 in Boise - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Cruises Past Rapid City, 5-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Extend Streak to Four Wins, Take Down Utah 4-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Fall to Mavs in the First of a 6-Game Road Trip - Allen Americans
- 'Blades Beat Greenville, Push Point Streak to 10 Games - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester
- 'Blades Reign Supreme over Monarchs in 6-3 Win
- Matt Finn Loaned to AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack
- Everblades Host Manchester in Just Sixth All-Time Matchup