Nashville Musters Just One Hit in Loss to Omaha
OMAHA - The Sounds struggled to get their offense going in their series opener against the Omaha Storm Chasers. Arnaldo Hernandez held Nashville to just one hit, as the Storm Chasers shut out the Sounds 5-0.
That one hit came in the first inning, when Andy Ibanez hit a double. But Hernandez pitched masterfully, retiring the next 11 batters. Hernandez would walk Jett Bandy in the fifth inning before retiring the rest of the batters he faced.
Omaha scored enough to win the game in the first inning. They scored one run when Rudy Martin launched a solo home run to lead off the game for the Storm Chasers.
The Storm Chasers would score three runs in the bottom of the third inning. Erick Mejia hit a two-run double and advanced to third on a fielding error. He scored on a sacrifice fly by Jorge Bonifacio to give Omaha the 4-0 lead.
Former Sound Adam Moore hit a solo home run himself in the bottom of the fourth inning for further insurance. That turned out to be the final score of the inning, giving Omaha the 5-0 win.
Game two of the series starts at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow night. Right-handed pitcher Tim Dillard (8-8, 4.61) will start for the Sounds against left-hander Foster Griffin (7-5, 5.35) of Omaha. Griffin was recently named the best left-handed pitcher in the Pacific Coast League.
With today's 5-0 loss, the Sounds are 61-70 in 2019.
The one hit matches Nashville' season-low this season. In game two of a doubleheader on April 21, San Antonio one-hit the Sounds in a seven-inning contest.
It was the seventh time Nashville was shutout this season. Omaha was the last team to shut out the Sounds back on July 4.
The Sounds recorded 4.0 shutout innings of relief between Wei-Chieh Huang and Locke St. John. Both didn't allow a hit. Huang threw 3.0 of the innings, striking out three batters and walking one.
The Sounds left just one player on base tonight, recording just 28 plate appearances in the game.
The last time an opponent led off against the Sounds was Gavin Lux on June 30 versus Oklahoma City.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 26, 2019
- Isotopes Walk off over Aviators to Open Final Home Series - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Blanks San Antonio 6-0 in Division Clash - Round Rock Express
- Iowa Wins, Magic Number Falls to Three - Iowa Cubs
- Express Takes Series Opener in Critical Showdown - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Beat Chasers 9-2 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Foster Griffin Named to All-PCL Team - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Home Dates for Chasers' 2020 Season Revealed - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Chasers' Hernandez Silences Sounds 5-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville Musters Just One Hit in Loss to Omaha - Nashville Sounds
- Fresno Grizzlies Announce 2019 Player Awards - Fresno Grizzlies
- 'Cakes-Redbirds Rained Out - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds, Baby Cakes Washed out Monday Night - Memphis Redbirds
- Ty France Named to 2019 All-Pacific Coast League Team - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (61-69) at Omaha Storm Chasers (55-76) - Nashville Sounds
- Righty Rea Selected to All-PCL Team - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes' Diaz Named All-PCL - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Jared Walsh Named to All-PCL Team - Salt Lake Bees
- Kevin Cron Named to 2019 All-Pacific Coast League Team - Reno Aces
- River Cats on the Brink of 12th Division Title as Final Homestand Kicks off Tonight - Sacramento River Cats
- Hilliard, Daza Named to 2019 All-PCL Team - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 2019 All-Pacific Coast League Team Announced - PCL
- David Freitas Named to All-PCL Team - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Round Rock Express - San Antonio Missions
- Round Rock Express OF Kyle Tucker Named to All-PCL Team - Round Rock Express
- David Carpenter Named to All-PCL Team - Nashville Sounds
- 2019 Joe Bauman Home Run Award Comes Down to Final Week - PCL
- Will Clark to Headline 2020 Fresno Grizzlies Hot Stove Gala - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (65-67) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (69-61) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Taylor, Dunshee Named PCL Players of the Week for August 19 -25 - PCL
- San Antonio's Tyrone Taylor Named Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Land in Albuquerque with 9-Game Winning Streak - Las Vegas Aviators
- Fan Appreciation Weekend Highlights Final Homestand of 2019 Season for OKC Dodgers - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Turning Heads in a Rehab Assignment - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.