K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 17
Kalamazoo prepares for four-game week, starting Monday in Brampton, then Wednesday in Fort Wayne, before the team returns home.
OVERALL RECORD: 19-23-7
LAST WEEK: 1-1-1
Wednesday, Feb. 12 - Fort Wayne 3, Kalamazoo 2, OT (Memorial Coliseum - Fort Wayne, IN) | Box Score
>> The Kalamazoo Wings started a three-game week Wednesday at Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne and opened the scoring when Boston Leier scored a power play goal late in the first period. The Komets, however, answered with a power play goal of their own to make it 1-1 after one, before taking the lead in the second period. Early in the third, with a full two minute power play opportunity, Kalamazoo tied it at 2-2, when Austin Farley scored to force overtime. The Komets got the last laugh as Drake Rymsha scored 2:46 into the extra frame.
Friday, Feb. 14 - Kalamazoo 4, Toledo 3, OT (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI) | Box Score
>> 4,740 fans showed up and stayed to the end for a thriller in Kalamazoo's annual Pink Ice Game Friday against Toledo. Eric Kattelus put the K-Wings in front with a first period power play goal 5:26 into the game, but the Walleye flipped the script with two second period goals to lead 2-1 heading into the third. T.J. Hensick added his second goal of the game to open Toledo's lead to 3-1, but the K-Wings battled back to force overtime with a goal from Josh Teves and another power play marker from Kattelus. Justin Taylor played the role of hero 2:23 into overtime to give Kalamazoo its first win over the Walleye this year.
Saturday, Feb. 15 - Brampton 8, Kalamazoo 5 (Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo, MI) | Box Score
>> The K-Wings scored the first goal for the third straight game, when Luke Sandler tallied his first of three Saturday night against Brampton. The Beast answered one minute later on a power play to break even heading into the first intermission at Wings Event Center. Brampton broke the game open in the second period with two goals in the first minute and a half to lead 3-1, and cushioned their advantage to 5-1 under eight minutes remaining in the frame. Sandler added his second goal, but the Beast scored a fifth time in the period to lead 6-2 after 40 minutes. Kalamazoo battled back to pull within one, thanks to goals from Zach Frye, Sandler a third time, and Tanner Sorenson, but Brampton scored two empty net goals to finish the high-scoring affair.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Monday, Feb. 17 - Kalamazoo AT Brampton, 2:00 p.m. - CAA Centre (Brampton, ON)
Wednesday, Feb. 19 - Kalamazoo AT Fort Wayne, 7:35 p.m. - Memorial Coliseum (Fort Wayne, IN)
Friday, Feb. 21 - Indy vs Kalamazoo, 7:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
Saturday, Feb. 22 - Wheeling vs Kalamazoo, 7:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
ON THE MOVE
2/12 - Defenseman Josh Teves assigned to Kalamazoo from Utica (AHL) by Vancouver (NHL).
2/12 - Forward Tanner Sorenson loaned to Kalamazoo by Utica (AHL).
2/15 - Defenseman Josh Teves reassigned to Utica (AHL) by Vancouver (NHL).
2/15 - Forward Chad McDonald signed to standard player contract.
- Luke Sandler scored his first career hat trick Saturday vs. Brampton.
- Justin Taylor scored his team-leading fifth game-winning goal and third overtime goal Friday vs. Toledo.
- Eric Kattelus led the K-Wings with 4 points (2g, 2a) in 3 games last week.
- Kalamazoo is 5-1-0 in Friday home games after its 4-3 overtime win against Toledo last Friday.
- The K-Wings are 14-1-4 when allowing 3 goals or fewer, which they did twice last week.
- Kalamazoo is 9-3-2 when scoring at least one power play goal at home.
POINTS: 31 - Matheson Iacopelli, Justin Taylor
GOALS: 16 - Iacopelli
ASSISTS: 22 - Kyle Blaney
PLUS/MINUS: +8 - Ian Edmondson
PIMS: 107 - Luke Sandler
PP GOALS: 6 - Taylor
SH GOALS: 1 - Brennan Sanford, Tanner Sorenson, Aaron Thow
GW GOALS: 5 - Taylor
SHOTS: 163 - Iacopelli
WINS: 12 - Jake Hildebrand
GAA: 3.66 - Hildebrand
SAVE %: .887 - Jake Kielly
POWER PLAY: Overall - 37/194 (19.1%) - 8th in ECHL
Last Week - 4/18 (22.2%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 162/212 (76.4%) - 25th in ECHL
Last Week - 10/14 (71.4%)
ALUMNI NIGHT - FRIDAY
We're honoring 46 years of alumni on Alumni Night, Friday, Feb. 21, when the Kalamazoo Wings host the Indy Fuel at 7:00 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a Joel Martin bobblehead, modeled after the current K-Wings Assistant Coach during his playing days. It's also our $2 Friday with $2 beers, sodas, and hot dogs.
WIZARDS, WANDS AND WINGS - SATURDAY
We're turning Wings Event Center into Hogwarts on Saturday, Feb. 22 for "Wizards, Wands and Wings Night", as the Kalamazoo Wings welcome the Wheeling Nailers at 7:00 p.m. The first 1,000 fans will receive a K-Wings scarf. Stick around for the postgame jersey auction, featuring your favorite K-Wings nicknames on the back of the jerseys.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2020
- Grizzlies Win 3-1 on President's Day Matinee - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Weekly - February 17, 2020 - Idaho Steelheads
- Todd Has Four Points as Beast Knock off K-Wings - Brampton Beast
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 17 - Tulsa Oilers
- Zachary Fucale Heads to Europe - Orlando Solar Bears
- Buzzer-Beating Game-Tying Goal Overturned, K-Wings Lose - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- Former NHL Draft Pick D Miles Gendron Reassigned to Royals by AHL Belleville - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- 'Blades Weekly: Final Four-In-Five of Season on Deck - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Head West for Big Sky Showdowns - Kansas City Mavericks
- Craig Wyszomirski Named New Team Captain - Indy Fuel
- Game Notes: at Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Allen Americans Receive Three Players from AHL Affiliate Iowa - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 17 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Acquires Dickman from Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Kelly Cup Tour Begins Friday in Cincinnati - ECHL
- McGauley and Lewis Rejoin Grizz for Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners Weekly: Miracle Remembered - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Weekly, February 17 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 19 (February 10 - February 16, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Komets Snare Four Points from Week 19; Kalamazoo Visits Wednesday, Pink the Rink Weekend Features Toledo Friday, Indy Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Ryan Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 17 - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.