Steelheads Weekly - February 17, 2020
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (28-17-7) return to open a three-week, nine-game homestand through mid-March to revisit two season series beginning on Wednesday.
Saturday, February 15 @ Toledo Walleye: W 4-2
Shots: Steelheads 37, Walleye 30
PP: Steelheads 0-for-4, Walleye 0-for-3
The Steelheads surged in the second period en route to a 4-2 win over the Walleye on Saturday night from Huntington Center. Walleye forward Abbott Girduckis (6:36 1st) opened the scoring as the lone goal early before three-straight Steelheads tallies. Forward Will Merchant (5:27 2nd) knuckled in the tying goal, 1-1, then forward Zack Andrusiak (6;46 2nd) batted in a second tally followed by defenseman Jeff King (8:56 2nd) in transition to lead ahead with a 3-1 lead. The Walleye added one more to cut into the lead, 3-2, thanks to forward Jimmy Lodge (17:42 2nd) on a 2-on-1 break. Despite the push back, Steelheads forward A.J. White (EN, 19:30 3rd) sealed off the score at a 4-2 win. Tomas Sholl (22-7-5) stopped 28 of 30 shots in the win, while Filip Larsson (3-3-0) halted 33 of 36 shots in the loss.
Sunday, February 16 @ Toledo Walleye: L 4-1
Shots: Steelheads 32, Walleye 29
PP: Steelheads 0-for-7, Walleye 2-for-4
The Steelheads fell behind in a 4-1 loss to the Walleye on Sunday evening from Huntington Center. For the second-straight night, Walleye forward Abbott Girduckis (7:47 1st) netted the opening goal, but the Steelheads found their answer later in the period thanks to a shot from the left corner by forward Spencer Naas (18:34 1st) off the back of the netminder to tie the game, 1-1. However, the Walleye scored three more goals over the next two periods beginning with defenseman Nolan Gluchowski (PP, 6:03 2nd) and followed by forwards T.J. Hensick (16:31 2nd) and Marcus Vela (15:31 3rd) to finish off the 4-1 score. Billy Christopoulos (17-3-3) saved 31 of 32 shots in the win, while Tomas Sholl (22-8-5) denied 25 of 29 shots in the loss.
Wednesday, February 19 vs. Kansas City Mavericks - 7:10 p.m. MT
Friday, February 21 vs. Rapid City Rush - 7:10 p.m. MT
Saturday, February 22 vs. Rapid City Rush - 7:10 p.m. MT
The Steelheads open their nine-game series with the season series finale against the Kansas City Mavericks on Wednesday followed by a pair of games with the Rapid City Rush to close the weekend.
The Steelheads have already won their season series with the Mavericks heading into the finale of the five-game season set this year, and despite splitting their two games in Missouri now have points in all four games with a 3-0-1 record. Additionally, the Steelheads have won seven-straight home meetings with the Mavericks including their two games in November, falling only on Apr. 9, 2016 in just their second meeting. Overall, the Steelheads have won 11 of 16 games against the Mavericks in their franchise series, boasting an 11-4-1 record with a 8-1-0 record at CenturyLink Arena.
The Steelheads head into the final two games during their seven-straight meetings at CenturyLink Arena against the Rush in the season series. The Rush have controlled the season series so far, pressing the Steelheads to a 2-5-1 record during their 13-game season series and can ultimately claim the season set with just one win during their final five meetings this season. The Steelheads split their two games with the Rush crossing into February and hold a 40-18-5 all-time record against Rapid City while going 18-8-4 at CenturyLink Arena.
$2 Beer Wednesday: Discounted drinks return on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at the Steelheads' next home game with $2 domestic beers through the end of the second period. Get tickets for $2 Beer Wednesdays by calling 208-331-TIXS(8497) or going to idahosteelheads.com.
Hockey Starter Pack: Become the ultimate fan with the Steelheads Hockey Starter Pack. For just $69, fans receive four tickets to any Steelheads home game plus two small beer vouchers and the Steelheads Mullet Visor. For information, head to idahosteelheads.com or call 208-383-0080.
4 for $50 Family Friday: Bring the entire family for a night out at the Steelheads to finish off your week! Get four tickets, four Double R Ranch hot dogs, and four Pepsis for just $50 on any Friday night home game. Head to idahosteelheads.com or call 208-331-TIXS(8497) to purchase.
- The Steelheads enter the back half of their stretch with 13 of 15 games at CenturyLink Arena. The team has won three of four home games and own a 4-2-0 so far entering the final nine games at home.
- The Steelheads penalty kill ended its perfect run at nine-straight games and 26 attempts during Sunday's loss. The Steelheads are still perfect in 12 of 14 games, going 40-for-43 (93.0%) since January 20. It was also the first two-goal allowed game on the penalty kill since December 28.
- Forward Brett Supinski extended his assist streak to four games with a pair of helpers last weekend. He shares the most points (1-8-9) with captain A.J. White (6-3-9) over their last 10 games.
GOALS: 17 - Will Merchant
ASSISTS: 34 - Marc-Olivier Roy
POINTS: 42 - Marc-Olivier Roy
PP GOALS: 5 - Will Merchant
SH GOALS: 1 - Max Coatta/Anthony Nellis/Marc-Olivier Roy
GW GOALS: 3 - Jeff King/Anthony Nellis/Brett Supinski/A.J. White
PIMS: 108 - Keegan Kanzig
PLUS/MINUS: +17 - Ondrej Vala
SHOTS: 166 - Will Merchant
WINS: 22 - Tomas Sholl
GAA: 2.29 - Tomas Sholl
SAVE %: .919 - Tomas Sholl
Mountain Division Standings:
1. Allen 34-11-6-2, 76 pts
2. Utah 30-15-5-2, 67 pts
3. Steelheads 28-17-3-4, 63 pts
4. Rapid City 27-20-4-0, 58 pts
5. Tulsa 25-24-5-1, 56 pts
6. Wichita 21-27-8-0, 50 pts
7. Kansas City 22-27-3-1, 48 pts
All home games during the 2019-20 regular season are broadcast on local radio, local television and on an online pay-per-view service. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350-AM KTIK "The Ticket" as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & ECHL.tv.
Tune in to the Deschutes Brewery Idaho Steelheads Hockey Show every Tuesday through Thursday on 1350 KTIK-AM "The Ticket", featuring Steelheads news, analysis and insight from around the ECHL. The show airs every Tuesday through Thursday during the 2019-20 season.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 7:10 p.m. versus the Kansas City Mavericks. The Hockey Starter Pack provides the benefits of the ultimate fan on the time you want! Call the Steelheads Front Office at 208-383-0080 to inquire about getting your pack as well as planning your next outing with single-game tickets, flex plans and season tickets. Stay connected to the Steelheads on idahosteelheads.com or by following the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2020
- Grizzlies Win 3-1 on President's Day Matinee - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Weekly - February 17, 2020 - Idaho Steelheads
- Todd Has Four Points as Beast Knock off K-Wings - Brampton Beast
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 17 - Tulsa Oilers
- Zachary Fucale Heads to Europe - Orlando Solar Bears
- Buzzer-Beating Game-Tying Goal Overturned, K-Wings Lose - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- Former NHL Draft Pick D Miles Gendron Reassigned to Royals by AHL Belleville - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- 'Blades Weekly: Final Four-In-Five of Season on Deck - Florida Everblades
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Head West for Big Sky Showdowns - Kansas City Mavericks
- Craig Wyszomirski Named New Team Captain - Indy Fuel
- Game Notes: at Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Allen Americans Receive Three Players from AHL Affiliate Iowa - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 17 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Acquires Dickman from Indy - Wichita Thunder
- Kelly Cup Tour Begins Friday in Cincinnati - ECHL
- McGauley and Lewis Rejoin Grizz for Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners Weekly: Miracle Remembered - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Weekly, February 17 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 19 (February 10 - February 16, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Allen Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Komets Snare Four Points from Week 19; Kalamazoo Visits Wednesday, Pink the Rink Weekend Features Toledo Friday, Indy Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Ryan Culkin Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 17 - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.